Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IM on the east coast(maryland) and i was curious what would be the best "cold oil weight" to run, iam also wondering if i can go to a full synthetic at this point, i have about 20 hours on the bike and i wanna know if i can switch to synthetic, in the summer i run 20w50 blend i wanna go synthetic this winter , SO LET A BRUTHA KNOW!!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just switched to synthetic with 1 hour on mine. Production tolerances on modern parts are lightyears better than stuff produced years ago. Many products come with synthetic as factor fill so I wouldn't worry one bit about switching.

As far as oil weight for the temps you're riding in, just follow what's in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey Bro, in the uk we have had some problems with running fully synth getting clutch slip just something to watch for

and in the temp we have here most use 10w-40

cheers

size12 ;)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Just had my oil changed today and my dealer put some 20w-50 in my raptor. I believe the rule of thumb is, heavy oil in the winter and light in the summer. 8)

·
Registered
767 Posts
CAROLINA_700R said:
Just had my oil changed today and my dealer put some 20w-50 in my raptor. I believe the rule of thumb is, heavy oil in the winter and light in the summer. 8)
Or not, have a look at the lubrication chart in you manual. I just did a 65km ride today in -30*C temps with 10w30 and she wasn't to happy about starting. I think I may try the Amsoil

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
CAROLINA_700R said:

umm, I believe you have that reversed.. You should be running thinner in cold and thicker in summer, In minnesota here if you ran 20-40 or 20-50 in the winter.. I think you may have some problems trying to turn it over :thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thinner in the winter because the oil is going to be very cold, so when starting it you won't get oil into the head until it warms up, if you use a thinner oil it will heat up faster and be able to distribute through the motor a lot quicker. It's -15 degrees celsius(don't know what that calculates to in farenheit) where I am and even with 15w50 oil my motor does not have problems cranking over but like I said, it just takes longer to heat it up and distribute itself around. I just couldn't hold back though, first snowfall of the year. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
ctsraptor said:
Amsoil 0w-40. You can switch over as soon as you would like too.
+1

Lower cold weather pour points with Amsoil sythetic......ie.it does not get thick like syrup like regular oils do in "extreme" cold.. ;)

·
Registered
594 Posts
its to do with the viscosity level....as oil drops temperature it thickens....that is why it is harder to for your pump to distribute the oil. same thing as diesel.... when it's cold is gels...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts