Raptor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well ive been searching for all diff gear and for boots i cam down with these 2, can someone help me choose what would be better.

http://oakley.com/o/o1688d

Or

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=14585&navTitle=Footwear&pageLinkUri=&webCatId=3&vehicleType=&priceRange=allPrices&webTypeId=27&brandId=277&navType=type

for the record, i wear a 13 shoe, so would i still get 13 for these boots?

and i cant decide which because, the oakelys look smaller and would be easier to shift, but then the thor's kinda look more stable

so any input would be great

thanks, mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would go with the Thor's they seem like they are pretty good boots and will help with the heat a lot. Once they are broken in you won't have a problem shifting. I ride with Tech 8's at first I thought they would never break in but after a couple of rides they are awesome. Those Oakley's do look comfortable though.

·
Registered
306 Posts
After I got my T8's I thought I hated them! I just couldn't get the shifting down. After a few rides and moving my shifter up it's rite on the money.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I tried out some alpinestars a6's, hated them because I kept kicking the shifter. I was thinking about trying a shorter boot too, similar to those oakleys. I'm a novice in this area as well. Has anyone worn a shorter boot? What are your impressions?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I would go with the Thor or something similar the oakelys are a soft bodied boot mostly designed for car racing I think the pegs would eat up the bottoms and not provided much protection from rocks,mud water, etc... if your looking for a short boot there are several types to choose that will you give you the protection you need

thor 50/50 boot

axo slammer and slammer skull

oneil shorty

all of these are avaiable in a 13 you might have to shop around for who's got them in stock

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
As for kicking the shifter, try moving it up a little as needed your boot should not hang below the frame when under the shifter. Once you get your bbots broken in and used to ridding a stif boot compaired to ridding in work boots you'll never want to go back. they offer so much more protection and stability also the taller boots provide heat protection from the exhaust I've burnt my leg and melted pants before when not using tall boots. I recomend going to your local shops and trying several types of boots before you buy. When you do get a set you want them to be a little bit snug. They will loosen up when they break in and the tightness helps keep your foot and ankel stable when ridding

·
Registered
306 Posts
Good call on those Oakley's Guam. I had noticed that also, not only the bottom but I am sure the shifter would eat them up on the top to.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I wear a 13 shoe and I'm pretty sure I had to go to a 14 in a MX boot. I got the Gaernes SG10 or something like that. Had to move my shifter though, had a heck of a time upshifting. Evere since I bought them I am sure dreading having to walk out due to a breakdown, I thnk I would just carry on in sock feet. :eek:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the Thor boots. The break in time is minimal and they are comfortable for riding boots. I would definately buy a purpose-built boot, because you need the ankle protection. Taller boots will provide you with more protection and will cut down the heat from the head-pipe. To make a long story short, I think the Thor boots are a great buy. They are well built and are in the casual riders price range.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Diddly said:
I wear a 13 shoe and I'm pretty sure I had to go to a 14 in a MX boot. I got the Gaernes SG10 or something like that. Had to move my shifter though, had a heck of a time upshifting. Evere since I bought them I am sure dreading having to walk out due to a breakdown, I thnk I would just carry on in sock feet. :eek:
I got size 14 SG10's and love them. The hinge on the ankle makes this the most comfortable pair of riding boots I ever owned.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TSAGE said:
I have the Thor boots. The break in time is minimal and they are comfortable for riding boots. I would definately buy a purpose-built boot, because you need the ankle protection. Taller boots will provide you with more protection and will cut down the heat from the head-pipe. To make a long story short, I think the Thor boots are a great buy. They are well built and are in the casual riders price range.
yea im gonna end up goin with those :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have Axo slammers and love them, nice and small lightweight boot perfect for atv's.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Does anyone have the Thor 50/50? Do they offer good protection, compared to the AXO Slammer? The 50/50 look nice but seem much softer and fragile than the Slammers... :eek:

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
sangue_e_Tripas said:
Does anyone have the Thor 50/50? Do they offer good protection, compared to the AXO Slammer? The 50/50 look nice but seem much softer and fragile than the Slammers... :eek:

Anyone?
I tried on the 50/50's when I bought my slammers and they felt great and were the easiest boot Ive ever tried on moving around wise but I didnt buy them for the same reason you are asking about. To me they didnt seem protective enough, the slammers feel a little more sturdy and strong so thats why I went that route.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Teraflx said:
sangue_e_Tripas said:

Anyone?
I tried on the 50/50's when I bought my slammers and they felt great and were the easiest boot Ive ever tried on moving around wise but I didnt buy them for the same reason you are asking about. To me they didnt seem protective enough, the slammers feel a little more sturdy and strong so thats why I went that route.
Thx!
Did you buy them with the same size as your regular shoes, bigger or smaller?

By the way... You guys wear shoe size 13 (american size)? That is BIG! I wear 41 European, which is eqiuvalent to an 8 American!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts