Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking at getting another quad. I want an 09 raptor, but my buddy is telling me to get the Kawasaki 450. I haven't ridden one, or even seen one in the dunes. I have ridden a 2007 yfz 450 and it felt like a toy compared to the raptor.

A little about me, I am 6 foot with a game weight of 280. 90% of my riding is in st Anthony dunes or Oregon dunes. There are times in st Anthony that even the raptor doesn't have enough power. Also, a lot of that riding is my wife on the raptor and me on the Honda 400 with my 6 yr old boy. So whatever I buy will have me and an additional 50 pounds on it. Lol

Can anyone provide suggestions on what else could maybe work or should I just stay will the raptor. I know this forum is biased lol but maybe people can provide an unbiased opinion as to what else would be fun.

·
El Jefe de la Hill
1,593 Posts
Raptor 700, kfx700 or a renegade 800. A man your size should stay away from the 450's.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Raptor 700, kfx700 or a renegade 800. A man your size should stay away from the 450's.
Lol, ya kind of what I was thinking. The Kawasaki, there is no way, I want gears and don't want to ride a pig. I dont know much about the renegade, but I ride a smaller version and didn't like it.

Amazingly though, I take the 01 400ex everywhere with my boy on it. Even went back to chokecherry at st anything this summer. Didn't climb it of course. But it does well. I like that it is air cooled meaning light front end so I can wheelie over the whoops with my boy on the front even easier than the raptor.

·
Registered
191 Posts
What about the Honda TRX700

·
Registered
332 Posts
i think the 700rappy would be the way to go.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm thinking a Catapiller D9 is the way to go plenty of power will climb anything.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking a Catapiller D9 is the way to go plenty of power will climb anything.
Haha, I was thinking of going that route! Definitely could handle everything.

What about the Honda TRX700
From what I understand, same power as a raptor but 80 pounds heavier or whatever. I do like my Honda but it is similar in weight and size to my raptor.

Okay thanks for the responses, tells me what I was thinking, just didn't know if the Kawasaki or Suzuki was fun to ride for big dudes too.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
the 700xx is a nice quad no doubt my friend has one and its a very smooth ride but that extra weight sucks when u get it stuck. the dunes i would imagine is all sand which might not be so bad getting it out but in mud it really sucks. raptor is a great machine but i hate to say it but i would recommend the 700xx it would be very smooth with you and your boy with that irs suspension.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
The new renagade 1000xxc or the rzr xp 900

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The new renagade 1000xxc or the rzr xp 900
No razr until I am rich and old. Lol the renegade is interesting. Couple bad things tho, can't they make it lighter than 680 pounds and put a clutch on it? Not sure how well that would do in the dunes.

Same for the Honda, though there might be one in the dunes the next trip I take so I could try it out.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I rode an 800r at Coos Bay last month it was sweet...thing rides like a caddy.
But does it hold a candle to your raptor? I want something comparable in the dunes. Can you shoot the trees in coos bay easily like the raptor?

·
El Jefe de la Hill
1,593 Posts
It was a 5 mod renegade so it was definitely more powerful than a stock raptor. He was going down the steepest idiot holes and climbing back up with ease.

My rhino popped an axle and I rode with him back to camp and that thing was still handling and climbing everything. Two grown ass men on a quad...it felt wrong lol.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was a 5 mod renegade so it was definitely more powerful than a stock raptor. He was going down the steepest idiot holes and climbing back up with ease.

My rhino popped an axle and I rode with him back to camp and that thing was still handling and climbing everything. Two grown ass men on a quad...it felt wrong lol.
Haha, ya I lead us into a hole in Florence last time, my brother's wife's dumb trail boss with no paddles couldn't make it, had to push him then he had to go back and forth between the hills and finally got enough speed to make it out. My Honda walked up it. Anyways, our choices were for me to walk up, or him ride raptor down and we ride up together. It was tough decision, but it was only a little awkward.

So that thing is 12k. Holy chit. With those mods, was it like 15k? Lol man I was considering it til I saw that. Am looking closer to 5/6k.

·
El Jefe de la Hill
1,593 Posts
I mean, if you have the cash you can get one for 1/2 the price...you don't have to buy the 800r either, the regular 800 would do the job and it's much cheaper.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi 2001400ex, I just read your post and wanted to share my opinion as I have ridden a YFZ450, KFX450, TRX450, Banshee and Raptor 700. I live in Oregon and only have ridden on the Oregon Dunes. In addition I am 6'5, 250lbs and I primarily hill climb, trail ride or side hill.

All of the 450cc and other quads I mentioned have never had any trouble getting me up steep hills or failed on me when side hilling or horizontally scaling tall dunes. They have all performed well. That said, the Raptor 700 and Banshee (with YFZ450 front shocks) were the most comfortable rides. I was able to ride the dunes all day long on these two quads, have fun and never experienced a sore behind.

The 450cc quads seem to perform nearly as good as the Raptor 700, even though the engine displacement is much less. I believe this is attributed to the lighter weight and race inspired design of 450cc sport bikes. The down side to these bikes is they were not very comfortable. Not only were they stiff, but the seats were narrow and will definitely give your bottom a good work out.

I noticed some folks mentioning the Honda TRX 700xx. Although I have not ridden one of these bikes, I was told by folks who have, that it is not the right bike for soft sand or the dunes. The IRS or Independent rear suspension causes the rear of the bike to dig in and not to glide over loose sand.

In conclusion, having ridden all of these bikes, I own two Raptor 700's and love them. To me they sport the best of both worlds if your deciding factors are comfort and performance. Tid bit... I also loved the Banshee, but two-strokes are a lot of maintenance in my opinion and seem more temperamental than 4-strokes.... but that power band is a lot of fun, I must admit and I miss it!

Just my two cents... hope it helps in making your decision... Pete

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
yfz450s are only about 20lbs lighter (give or take a couple) than the 700.
Really? thats weird i was actually at the stealership yesterday and they had a 450 there i was checking it out never really seen one in person it looked so puny compared to the 700 i dont see how it would be 20lbs lighter. all aluminum frame smaller motor by far.

and for what pete said hes right about what his friends said about the 700xx its nearly impossible to whip a shitty like u can with a straight axle. get the shocks as stiff as they go and its a little easier. It is a very comfortable ride but so much different in how it rides. its hard to explain untill u actually ride one u would know exactly what im talking about. They are faster though than the stock 700 though. i had just my 11:1 piston in and nothing else and he blew me away everytime. i still have to wait for a rematch now i have big 3, and a hc2 :D.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi 2001400ex, I just read your post and wanted to share my opinion as I have ridden a YFZ450, KFX450, TRX450, Banshee and Raptor 700. I live in Oregon and only have ridden on the Oregon Dunes. In addition I am 6'5, 250lbs and I primarily hill climb, trail ride or side hill.

All of the 450cc and other quads I mentioned have never had any trouble getting me up steep hills or failed on me when side hilling or horizontally scaling tall dunes. They have all performed well. That said, the Raptor 700 and Banshee (with YFZ450 front shocks) were the most comfortable rides. I was able to ride the dunes all day long on these two quads, have fun and never experienced a sore behind.

The 450cc quads seem to perform nearly as good as the Raptor 700, even though the engine displacement is much less. I believe this is attributed to the lighter weight and race inspired design of 450cc sport bikes. The down side to these bikes is they were not very comfortable. Not only were they stiff, but the seats were narrow and will definitely give your bottom a good work out.

I noticed some folks mentioning the Honda TRX 700xx. Although I have not ridden one of these bikes, I was told by folks who have, that it is not the right bike for soft sand or the dunes. The IRS or Independent rear suspension causes the rear of the bike to dig in and not to glide over loose sand.

In conclusion, having ridden all of these bikes, I own two Raptor 700's and love them. To me they sport the best of both worlds if your deciding factors are comfort and performance. Tid bit... I also loved the Banshee, but two-strokes are a lot of maintenance in my opinion and seem more temperamental than 4-strokes.... but that power band is a lot of fun, I must admit and I miss it!

Just my two cents... hope it helps in making your decision... Pete
Yeah, all that helps, same for the other posters. Am thinking I am just going to stay with the raptor. I feel the same as the others have mentioned, the 450 feels like a toy. The only thing I did like is jumping did feel a little better. I know most won't agree, but some jumps my 400 feels better than the raptor cause the way it is weighted. But for those that have the balls, the raptor makes a lot of jumps in fourth gear pinned that the Honda can't even get enough speed to get off the ground. Lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts