Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grew up riding quads but sold mine before going away to college. When I travel I am always looking for atv tours in foreign countries its something I have really enjoyed. Now in my 30s I am looking to get back into the hobby but I am overwhelmed where to start. Please excuse me if this is not the appropriate place to post and if there is a better place to start I would greatly appreciate it. I have a ton of beginner questions and would first like to reeducate myself but this forum didnt seem beginner friendly.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
i would say start with what are you looking for? how much are you realistically going to ride, what type of environment are you going to be riding? will you need a sport quad or 4 wheel drive? do you have friends that ride? if so what do they ride and will yall ride together? what type of budget are you on? i think those are some of the questions i asked myself.

Reactions: DIRTYMUNOZ

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have always enjoyed sport quads more than utility. I am 6-2 260lbs but losing so im on the larger end for a Raptor 700 but I think its probably the best fit. I had a Suzuki 230 that I outgrew but it gave me experience with a clutch. On the downside are limited knowledge of engines but comfortable doing most routine maintenance. My biggest question marks were where to ride and who to ride with. I am in Central NJ so Eastern PA and Upstate NY are my best options but I haven't researched much. Im hoping to ride something like 10 weekends a year.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
the raptor 700 is a pretty reliable machine with plenty of power to get ya going even at 260lbs. my buddy is a pretty big dude 6.5 and close to 300 and he used to have a 450r and it looked like donkey kong from mario kart haha. ive had mine for 4 years now and have only done routine maintenance other than rewiring it. you will learn some doing your own work to it if you dont mind turning a wrench.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,190 Posts
I grew up riding quads but sold mine before going away to college. When I travel I am always looking for atv tours in foreign countries its something I have really enjoyed. Now in my 30s I am looking to get back into the hobby but I am overwhelmed where to start. Please excuse me if this is not the appropriate place to post and if there is a better place to start I would greatly appreciate it. I have a ton of beginner questions and would first like to reeducate myself but this forum didnt seem beginner friendly.
I would agree a Raptor 700 would be a good fit for you. They are a larger frame for us bigger people. Now would be a good time of the year to find 700's in the $2000-$5000 range depending on the year. They did a motor change in '15 to a single port exhaust and a little more compression. Other then shocks and graphics, they are the same from '06-'20.

As for where to ride and who to ride with will come with time. Go to a riding spot and introduce yourself and ask if you can tag along.

As far as beginner friendly, we all had to start somewhere and there is no such thing as a stupid question. There are repetitive question so it's best to Google them on the forum first. For the last 2 months we are helping a guy in the UK rebuild his Raptor 660 and having lots of problems to work thru. Bolts with stripped heads, frozen piston pin, stripped threads, tools breaking, and more. All are being addressed and worked thru.

What is discouraging on this forum is a new person that asks a question, gets 2 or 3 answers, forgets and never comes back.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can a mod move this over to the intro thread. May get more eyeballs over there. I did not see it on the list of forum topics.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Can a mod move this over to the intro thread. May get more eyeballs over there. I did not see it on the list of forum topics.
Got you covered Brent, welcome to the forum.

The guys have given you good info and we hope you let us know what route you go regardless of what you choose. Between all of us on here we have had extensive rides in our stables at various times in our lives and can provide all kinds of info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The local dealer is going to call me when they have a 700r in stock for me to sit on. Most recently I rode on a Honda Rincon but felt like something was missing without the clutch but that being said I havent used a quad with a clutch since 2004. I dont have anywhere to ride locally and dont know anyone in the hobby. Ideally I find somewhere close to practice on before hitting the trails several hours away by myself for the first time on such a powerful machine.

Need to figure out the storage logistics next as I live in a townhouse with a small 2 car garage but its a tight fit. Then trailer for transport.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found a a mesh 5x8 utility trailer. Unfortunately going to need a 10x15 storage unit for that. Costs are already piling and I havent even bought the quad

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Just wait until you ride one then decide to mod for more power, then the cost is even more, lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
eBay scam, if it looks too good to be true then it certainly is. Have a few options lined up just negotiating a bit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello folks! I'm from the UK and have recently just bought a raptor 700 2012 model. Was just wondering on the maintenance side of things on what I will need to do to keep it in good working order? I'm a novice but I'm more than willing to work and get my hands dirty. Any advice on what and when things need to be done would be muchly appreciated dudes! I'm riding it on the road solely and will be doing around 150 miles a month absolute max. Its stored in my garage so is safe from the elements outside. Anyway, any help and tips&tricks/ pointers would be well remembered. Loving this forum and I'm just trawling over it trying to pick up as much knowledge as possible.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thankyou dude. All info is welcomed! Do you have any clue on why my indicaters arent working?im not the brightest spark when it comes to electrics but will try myself to fix it first. Would I need to see where the wire runs too? And is there a certain place it needs to run to. Thanks again ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts