Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a starting issue with my 700 . It was just rebuilt with a 11.1 piston and stage II cam and it is dragging while trying to start .

Is that compression safe with a stock starter ? Im assuming its possible my starter is just old and junk . Thanks for any input

Ryan

·
I am unique
22,620 Posts
I am having a starting issue with my 700 . It was just rebuilt with a 11.1 piston and stage II cam and it is dragging while trying to start .

Is that compression safe with a stock starter ? Im assuming its possible my starter is just old and junk . Thanks for any input

Ryan
Sounds like the decompressor is not working right...........

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have the same problem with mine. Been like that for a few years now and the starter is still going strong (knock on wood...lol). I just keep the button held in and it'll turn over after a second or so.

·
Registered
560 Posts
If it didnt ever give you a problem before the install yo might want to check into it. 11:1 shouldnt slow down your cranking any

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Get a higher CCA (Cold Cranking Amp) battery, this should at least help. I would also think your compression release valve might be stuck as well. If the starter continues to go through hard starts, it will eventually burn out and just stop working.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Ryan
Look into your overrunning clutch. I've heard when it slips it gives you a dead battery feel.

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
Check your valves. I run 11:1 compression with a stroker on the stock battery and stock starter. If the valves are too tight it could be hard to start. Other possible issue is the decomp pin and I have heard of that spring wearing out on the decomp mechanism.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the piston and cam done by a reputable guy here in houston .

I guess i should be more specefic , it will not even turn over at this point.
I just put a new battery in it and nothing. It was very hard to start at first after i got the motor back , BUT it did light off and i ran it for about 3 or 4 minutes . It then died and will not crank.
If you pull the spark plug out it will turn over like crazy , PUT THE PLUG back in and it will not turn over .

I honestly do not know what the decompressor pin is , sorry an explanation would be appreciated .
Thank you

Ryan

·
Registered
558 Posts
Ya I would say look at the decomp. mech. makes sure its installed correctly.

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
An automatic decompression mechanism for selectively actuating a valve mechanism of an engine to reduce the compression pressure in a combustion chamber while starting the engine,

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20090064958#ixzz0oLN52xpK

It basically bleeds off pressure in the combustion chamber so for high compression motors it's easier to start up. It's a little pin that's in the cam and is actuated by centrifugal force. If you look at maxwellsteel's cam video on youtube he demonstrates how the decomp works.

·
Cola Crew
1,368 Posts
Check your valves, Check your valves... I to run 13:25 compression with a stroker on the stock battery and stock starter. If the valves are too loose the decomp mechanism will not open the valves on start up and it will be hard to start.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I just did a 11:1 piston install w/ HC2 and starting it isn't any harder than it was so I'll go with the decomp pin as well. It's easy to forget or install wrong if you're not careful. If you had it done at a shop, I would just bring it back to them and have them fix their work.

You could look at it without taking off too much stuff on the bike if you knew where to look. I could see mine work with the cam in the head from the exhaust valve side before I closed it all up... When the piston is at TDC, the pin is towards to cam cover side at about 10 o'clock. When you play with the mechanism at the tip of the cam, you should see the pin go in and out of the cam barrel.

I think you'll need to remove the tank to see it though, unless you use a mirror.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
when i first installed the motor , it started up .... i went to test ride it and took it easy , it died out and then was dragging badly and would not start

Thats what has me at a loss . Initially it started , now its " tight " sounding and it will not turn over . Pull the plug and it will turn over all day .

Its not making sense to me at all

·
I am unique
22,620 Posts
when i first installed the motor , it started up .... i went to test ride it and took it easy , it died out and then was dragging badly and would not start

Thats what has me at a loss . Initially it started , now its " tight " sounding and it will not turn over . Pull the plug and it will turn over all day .

Its not making sense to me at all
You say it is tight, explain that for me, by dragging badly, what does that mean.............

·
Registered
905 Posts
My deck corrected 14-1 starts up just fine on the stock battery and starter

1 - 20 of 26 Posts