Raptor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a helmet cam. Was going to go with gopro but have been looking at contour and I'm starting to lean to contour. Now I'm not sure which to choose. Gopro only has one hd camera choice. Contour has a few Roam, Gps, and plus. Anyone have any input on either of them, pro's and con's. thanks for your input.

·
Registered
386 Posts
thats a good question. ive been wondering the same thing. although the contour is not waterproof you can find a waterproof case on ebay for $14,i hace also been watching vids on youtube comparing them.Also i like the smaller contour on a helmet mount.
it will be interesting to see an outcome

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Have a contour, & want another.
Actually tempted to get a go-pro as well, but for the ability to take a snapshot every few seconds.

The Contour is the ducks nuts for on the helmet, small & light, you would never know its there.

The Go Pro I would only use mounted on the bike, they are bulkier, & no-one I know with one likes it on their helmets.

Both are good cameras & can give great quality footage.
Then you will end up either bored with it, or (like I have) buying software & learning to video edit. All takes time, but definately fun if it is your thing

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
I have run both. Currently running a Contour HD...what I don't really like on the Contour is the switch setup. sometimes the record doesn't work if the magnet doesn't trigger it properly. and you can't leave it running in "idle" for longer than 5 minutes or it shuts off, and that sucks when you're taking a break while on a ride. it's hard to hear the beeps when everyone's motor is on.
Go pro wise, I just had the standard version. it worked well for what it was, just didn't like the quality of vids. otherwise it was really easy to use and mount.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I've taken my gopro everywhere and love it. It's easy to find or build the mount you want and find replacement parts if needed. They even have them at best buy if you need it that day. I don't notice the weight when riding either. I mount it on the side and I had it smack off a few trees before. I also wrecked a few times with it and never broke. You should buy 2 gopros and get the 3D housing.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
GoPro hands down. I sold my GoPro for a Contour HD and regret it! If anyone has a GoPro Motorsports Camera HD that they want to sell i'll trade them my Contour HD 1080. :D

·
El Jefe de la Hill
1,593 Posts
I have a go pro 960 and I love it.

Watch this video in 1080 and let me know what you think.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I think on quality, I can't go wrong with either. I like how the contour is smaller but little skeptical about that on/off switch

·
Registered
850 Posts
The go pro may look bulky but its really not bad. I have the 1080 version and i love it.. I just forget to put it on my helmet lol they have came out with a rear LCD screen for the gopro which is awesome. I have always wanted to see how my camera was positioned before i start a long video.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Go Pro you can mount it any where. There's so many more options with the Go Pro and better support. It may look bulky but you will never know it's there. I like it on the helmet since you get a better picture. On the bike it gets a little rougher with the vibrations and bounces.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well thanks for all the input guys. Sounds like I can go wrong with go pro. I think I'm going to go the the go pro Hero2.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
GoPro or go home.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Not in the mood to read lol sorry but I saw your title and decided to post. I have a Contour HD and love it. Pretty sweet camera, especially cause it's so cheap and the picture quality looks great! I got mine for like $130 new... If you go with the Contour HD PM me and I'll give you a link...

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I can tell you this about GoPro. I got my GoPro HD on my birthday 10/04/10 I was fine I went to Florida I left it in the window in the direct sun while car parked this past August. Well I called GoPro told them it would only work for short periods now. Guess what they gave me their address told me remove battery and send it in. I did with no paper work or anything. Do you know what they did? They sent me a brand-new one it works perfectly. I like companies that stand behind their products I'd buy GoPro again if I ever get another helmet camera.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can tell you this about GoPro. I got my GoPro HD on my birthday 10/04/10 I was fine I went to Florida I left it in the window in the direct sun while car parked this past August. Well I called GoPro told them it would only work for short periods now. Guess what they gave me their address told me remove battery and send it in. I did with no paper work or anything. Do you know what they did? They sent me a brand-new one it works perfectly. I like companies that stand behind their products I'd buy GoPro again if I ever get another helmet camera.
good to hear:thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts