Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keep the temperature down by adding an oversize radiator! You'll increase engine life and avoid overheating with more fins and fluid circulating. If a radiator isn't in the budget drain your current anti-freeze mix out safely and add only water into the stock radiator to lower temps in the summer months.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Keep the temperature down by adding an oversize radiator! You'll increase engine life and avoid overheating with more fins and fluid circulating. If a radiator isn't in the budget drain your current anti-freeze mix out safely and add only water into the stock radiator to lower temps in the summer months.

i thought antifreeze was also anti boil ? so wouldnt removing it and adding water increase the chance of boiling ?

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
i thought antifreeze was also anti boil ? so wouldnt removing it and adding water increase the chance of boiling ?
Water cools better since it is heavier then antifreeze, pure antifreeze is not a good coolant................

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
For those considering using water only, I would recommend distilled water as opposed to tap water or deionized.

And yes anti-freeze/coolant/ethylene glycol also raises the boiling point of water as well as providing additives to combat corrosion (which is why it's no big deal to add tap water to dilute coolant). But as Willy stated water transfers heat more efficiently than a combination of coolant and water.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For those considering using water only, I would recommend distilled water as opposed to tap water or deionized.

And yes anti-freeze/coolant/ethylene glycol also raises the boiling point of water as well as providing additives to combat corrosion (which is why it's no big deal to add tap water to dilute coolant). But as Willy stated water transfers heat more efficiently than a combination of coolant and water.
I forgot to mention distilled water opposed to tap water. Thanks for looking out.

Water cools better since it is heavier then antifreeze, pure antifreeze is not a good coolant................
Just to be clear pure water is better than half anti-freeze and water.

click on the picture and it will take you to the info.

Fluidyne Power-Flo Off Road Radiators
Thanks!

Yes it's possible to reach the boiling point only using water, but overall the coolant system is running cooler with water only; therefore, running only water shouldn't reach boiling temperatures to begin with.

Who makes it and price would help:)
Fluidyne $414.95

·
Registered
951 Posts
Also when you put water under pressure it raises the boiling point. Not sure on the raptors but car radiator caps are 16psi.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Also when you put water under pressure it raises the boiling point. Not sure on the raptors but car radiator caps are 16psi.
I have seen some "high pressure" rad caps on ebay, don't know if they're any good.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
who needs a rad cap? there is nothing more refreshing than rad water on the face during a hot summer ride....

p.s don't try this at home

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Water Wetter, Engine Ice, and other "high performance" coolants can be used in atvs as well.

All of these ideas can help cool your engine, but each is all that more effective with increased capacity from a larger radiator.

·
Ridin High.....
961 Posts
are these direct bolt on? ive heard of people having to trim the front hood to fit....

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
are these direct bolt on? ive heard of people having to trim the front hood to fit....
Some people reported back slight trimming of the hood, and other members said it was a direct bolt in. I'm unsure if the trimming is required or not because the reviews are consistent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts