Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was changing the coolant as per my Maintenance DVD. I drained it from the reservoir and coolant drain bolt. Then I removed the air bleed bolt, filled up the radiator with coolant, and walked around to the side of the air bleed bolt. There on the floor was all of the coolant I had just poured into the radiator, draining out of the air bleed bolt hole! What did I do wrong? The DVD states to leave the air bleed bolt off while filling it up, so how am I supposed to keep it from leaking out. I didn't even get to the part of filling up the reservoir because I ran out of coolant, have to pick some more up tomorrow? Any ideas? ???

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
What DVD :confused: Follow the manual for directions on changing coolant... I just did a few weeks ago and it didn't take long and was no hassle. I've never heard of an air bleed bolt on the raptor's lol :eek:.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think he is talking about the lowest most bolt on the coolant flange. It's the only one that supposed to have a small brown o-ring.

·
Registered
191 Posts
There is most certainly an air bleed bolt on the raptors cooling system.
It is in the service manual.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Look, fill up your radiator and also fill up your clear reservoir tank on the left side of the quad. But keep that air vent bolt closed. Once you fill up, you can open it slightly. All the air will escape before you have a steady stream of fluid. Once you see a steady stream of fluid close it, in fact close everything and proceed to put everything back and your done. If there is anybody else that can clarify better then you'll be in a better position. good luck.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
the air bleeder bolt is on the back of the thermostat housing i believe. its the ony bolt on the thermostat housing with a copper washer. thats how i do it anyways, just drain it tighten everything back up fill the radiator, then i usually sqeeze the water hoses to get the big bubbles out with rad cap off. then loosen the bleeder bolt on the back of the thermostat housing till you get steady flow of coolant and your done.

·
Registered
305 Posts
What DVD :confused: Follow the manual for directions on changing coolant... I just did a few weeks ago and it didn't take long and was no hassle. I've never heard of an air bleed bolt on the raptor's lol :eek:.
+2. No mention of it in the 2007 Owners manual either and the procedure it has worked just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
the air bleeder bolt is on the back of the thermostat housing i believe. its the ony bolt on the thermostat housing with a copper washer. thats how i do it anyways, just drain it tighten everything back up fill the radiator, then i usually sqeeze the water hoses to get the big bubbles out with rad cap off. then loosen the bleeder bolt on the back of the thermostat housing till you get steady flow of coolant and your done.
This is the way to do it....The only thing I would add is to put a shop towel on the motor directly under the air bleed bolt to absorb the coolant that will come out as you bleed it....You don`t need to take the bolt all the way out....just loosen it....Like Aaron says....then tighten it as soon as the coolant starts to flow. With the towel. you have no mess to clean off your motor....lol.

~ Sandaddy 8)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sure makes a lot of sense now. Great. Just loosening it instead of completely removing it.

Thanks for all of your help. I'm trying to get more mechanically inclined with my bikes instead of paying up the wazoo to get simple things done.

Next on the list: How to clean my carburators.

Thanks again. :)

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
That sure makes a lot of sense now. Great. Just loosening it instead of completely removing it.

Thanks for all of your help. I'm trying to get more mechanically inclined with my bikes instead of paying up the wazoo to get simple things done.

Next on the list: How to clean my carburators.

Thanks again. :)
Then you're in the wrong section, because the 700R doesn't have carbeurators.

If you've got a 660, check the 660 section where there are stickies on how to clean the carbs and how to rejet them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:eek: Sorry, I meant for my other bikes.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Yeah, I was looking for the air bleed bolt, but the pic in the service manual is chopped in all corners, and I can't make out where exactly it is. Anyone have a pic?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Look on the upper right side of the engine where the upper radiator hose is, that is the thermostat housing. Just below where the radiator hose attaches to the thermostat housing there are two bolts sitting verticle to one another, both use an 8mm wrench. The bottom one will have a copper crush washer, you will see the crush washer under the head of the bolt. That is the air bleeder.

Don't tighten it as soon as fluid comes out, sometimes you will get a little bit of fluid then more air, you want to make sure you are getting a steady stream of fluid.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Look on the upper right side of the engine where the upper radiator hose is, that is the thermostat housing. Just below where the radiator hose attaches to the thermostat housing there are two bolts sitting verticle to one another, both use an 8mm wrench. The bottom one will have a copper crush washer, you will see the crush washer under the head of the bolt. That is the air bleeder.

Don't tighten it as soon as fluid comes out, sometimes you will get a little bit of fluid then more air, you want to make sure you are getting a steady stream of fluid.
thanks geoman

·
Registered
2 Posts
Raptor 700r rad

Hey so I was reading about the bleed screw for the rad
How come when I unscrew it nothing comes out? Any
Help on this is it a good or bad thing Ive never had any problems
Over heating but I just changed my coolant and the screw helps with
Nothing how can I bleed the rad to get all the air out ? Can I leave it running
With the rad cap off for awhile ? That's what I've done with my truck when changeing

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Nothing mentioned in the '16 raptor manual about bleeder screw. Just says to top off the radiator and coolant tank then run for a few minutes then turn off engine and check levels. I guess the air will work itself out?

I did the air bleeder anyway. It does help. But the bolt isn't designed on mine to bleed. It's either on or off. No in between.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Just put the bleeder bolt back in when it starts to leak

1 - 19 of 19 Posts