Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is prolly dumb but I went to change my coolant the other day so I took the screw out of the water pump then took the radiator cap off and it still didn't drain so I finally just took the hose off and drained it but now I am trying to put new coolant in and it only took maybe a quarter of the bottle (engine ice) and I know it cant be full I did the bleed bolt thing and still nothing any advise ???

·
Registered
493 Posts
Follow the video on youtube. (only like one) There is no sound, just the video/description on screen. Make sure you did everything they do.

·
Registered
493 Posts
http://youtu.be/iP8fryRhBCM

I always follow videos while doing some things. (some not atv related)

Followed this one and it worked great.

·
Registered
493 Posts
When finished, you should have a little more than a cup of fluid left in the container. After 2 rides, my level stabilized. I added a bit of the extra I had and now it is perfet.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You need to pop the top on the reservoir tank and undo the clamp on the hose to drain it. I flushed both my tank and radiator with a gallon of distilled water.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Also must remove the bleed screw. I went but what it says in the service manual.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I also got 2 gallon of distilled water to flush it all out.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah I followed the video but mine never came out of the drain bolt on the water pump it just barley dripped out so I took the hose off the water pump and poured water through it after I took the radiator off and did the same with the reservoir so I don't know whats goin on and I did take the bleed screw out and poured coolant in till came out witch might have been half a cup then put it bak in the poured maybe a quarter cup in and that's all it would take

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
any ideas gotta get it figured out tomorrow goin to dtown friday

·
Registered
766 Posts
Maybe some gunk in the water pump.. unbolt the pump.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i don't think I got it all out when I drained it I fired it up today and it was circulating like its suppost to and never overheated so imma just take the extra with me just in case thanks for the inputs though

·
GARAGE CULTURE
3,688 Posts
Dude, go like this.

Remove radiotor cap. Remove hose from water pump discharge side. Pull hose off overflow bottle bottom. Take vent screw out thermostat housing. That will dump all coolant.

Now connect all hoses again, leave vent screw out the thermostat housing.

Fill up overflow bottle. Fill up radiotor, when it bleeds out the thermostat housing vent, put back the screw. Fill radiotor to the top and wait for all air to escape. Put back radiotor cap. Now all should be good.

Start the bike and feel the hose on the pump delivery should get warm. Also feel all hoses that they become warm. This means you have flow.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks man will do

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dude, go like this.

Remove radiotor cap. Remove hose from water pump discharge side. Pull hose off overflow bottle bottom. Take vent screw out thermostat housing. That will dump all coolant.

Now connect all hoses again, leave vent screw out the thermostat housing.

Fill up overflow bottle. Fill up radiotor, when it bleeds out the thermostat housing vent, put back the screw. Fill radiotor to the top and wait for all air to escape. Put back radiotor cap. Now all should be good.

Start the bike and feel the hose on the pump delivery should get warm. Also feel all hoses that they become warm. This means you have flow.

That's the perfect no BS way to change it.

To flush the radiator, I do it a bit more controversial. I use a water hose with an inline-filter and remove everything like above except for the radiator hoses. I run the filtered water through the radiator while the quad is running. After about 30/60secs shut the quad off and let the water drain. Then fill it up with 50/50 and test it like Pacific Barbarian does.

Not that I have to, but it's quick and easy so I do it every oil change.

Also, great for spotless car washing.
http://www.pinnaclewax.com/waterfilter.html

·
Registered
766 Posts
Distilled water only for me..

·
Administrator
9,452 Posts
I think I might sticky this. I am swapping to engine ice today. The red high temp street bike stuff did not work as expected. Got the distiller water, time to begin the change...

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,388 Posts
I think I might sticky this. I am swapping to engine ice today. The red high temp street bike stuff did not work as expected. Got the distiller water, time to begin the change...

Flush the system with the distilled water. You don't need distilled water with Ice. Put it in straight from the jug. You'll have some left over. Instead of storing a jug with a few ounces, just dump it all in. Be sure to purge the air out.

·
Administrator
9,452 Posts
I ran distilled to flush it out. Then filled it until it came out of the vent screw cap. Replaced that, filled up both radiator and overflow. Started it until it got to 186 then shut it down. Checked from radiator cap and all seemed full. Will hit some dirt roads around here tomorrow to ensure all is good. Beers been mighty tasty today and as fun as it sounds to go ripping around, now is not the time to do it...

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,388 Posts
I'm still thirsty, got any left?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts