Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 660r, having cooling problems. The last big ride of 2010 my bike started running hot while at a idle, as long as I was riding it would not do it, this has never happened before. About 2 months before this I replaced all the internals of the water pump except the impeller because it was starting to leak from the weep hole. Last week I flushed the coolant system and replaced the thermostat, which the old one was not stuck I found once I got it out. With the new one the over heat light did not come on but the fluid level in the Radiator never changed either from the initial fill up from the thermostat chenge. Hoses feel like they have enormous amount of pressure on them like the thermostat is not opening. Could there be blockage some where else.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
2003 660r, having cooling problems. The last big ride of 2010 my bike started running hot while at a idle, as long as I was riding it would not do it, this has never happened before. About 2 months before this I replaced all the internals of the water pump except the impeller because it was starting to leak from the weep hole. Last week I flushed the coolant system and replaced the thermostat, which the old one was not stuck I found once I got it out. With the new one the over heat light did not come on but the fluid level in the Radiator never changed either from the initial fill up from the thermostat chenge. Hoses feel like they have enormous amount of pressure on them like the thermostat is not opening. Could there be blockage some where else.
If you dont know how hot it is and you are not loosing antifreeze, then what are you worried about........

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The cooling system is designed to operate under pressure - it raises the boiling point of coolant. If you DIDN'T feel the hoses harden up when warm, THEN I'd be worried. The radiator cap releases pressure above, if I recall, 14 psi... so if your were truly overheating, pressure would build to the point where the cap would release and the overflow jug would fill with hot coolant.

I think you may be concerned due to the 'just fixed' syndrome - just after you do some work, it is common to obsess a bit about it, watch it with undue regularity and worry about failure in that system. This is the opposite of 'clean car syndrome', where it seems faster just after it's been thoroughly washed and detailed.

Does your fan work? Does it come on when you feel it is overheating? If not (and assuming it works), you're a long way from truly being too hot.

Put a sheet of printer paper over your radiator and let it idle for 10 or 20 minutes... the fan should come on and then cycle ( a few minutes on, a few minutes off) with the paper in place. BTW, the fan comes on about 30 degrees F before the over temp light comes on (208F vs 248F) - if you see the light, THEN it's time to be concerned.

Without the paper blocking the radiator, my fan NEVER comes on. The Rappy has a very efficient cooling system.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
I don't know if my fan even works...its never come on before...I just installed a temperature guage and it doesn't go over 200 that must be when the thermostat open correct?

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
THermostat starts to open at 168F, if i recall. Use the paper trick - it's the only easy way to see if the fan system is working.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I don't know if my fan even works...its never come on before...I just installed a temperature guage and it doesn't go over 200 that must be when the thermostat open correct?
They are set to open around 180 degrees F. My oval tacker doesnt even have a fan, so it never comes on.............:):)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks every one, the only thing that is really throwing me off is why did it run hot the first time. Like I said there was nothing wrong with the thermostat that I replaced. Where do you install the temp gauge at?

·
Registered
273 Posts
i believe you install it in the hose leading from the bottom of the rad to engine about mid way so you can see it .......someone correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The cooling system is designed to operate under pressure - it raises the boiling point of coolant. If you DIDN'T feel the hoses harden up when warm, THEN I'd be worried. The radiator cap releases pressure above, if I recall, 14 psi... so if your were truly overheating, pressure would build to the point where the cap would release and the overflow jug would fill with hot coolant.

I think you may be concerned due to the 'just fixed' syndrome - just after you do some work, it is common to obsess a bit about it, watch it with undue regularity and worry about failure in that system. This is the opposite of 'clean car syndrome', where it seems faster just after it's been thoroughly washed and detailed.

Does your fan work? Does it come on when you feel it is overheating? If not (and assuming it works), you're a long way from truly being too hot.

Put a sheet of printer paper over your radiator and let it idle for 10 or 20 minutes... the fan should come on and then cycle ( a few minutes on, a few minutes off) with the paper in place. BTW, the fan comes on about 30 degrees F before the over temp light comes on (208F vs 248F) - if you see the light, THEN it's time to be concerned.

Without the paper blocking the radiator, my fan NEVER comes on. The Rappy has a very efficient cooling system.
Welcome to the forum Yamahafx4, Lots of great people hear & invaluble info:). QuadManiac, I to get the "Clean car syndrome" My Honda Element get's at least 20 more ponies after a good washing & waxing..lol

·
Registered
538 Posts
welcome to the forum!

The cooling system is designed to operate under pressure - it raises the boiling point of coolant. If you didn't feel the hoses harden up when warm, then i'd be worried. The radiator cap releases pressure above, if i recall, 14 psi... So if your were truly overheating, pressure would build to the point where the cap would release and the overflow jug would fill with hot coolant.

Put a sheet of printer paper over your radiator and let it idle for 10 or 20 minutes... The fan should come on and then cycle ( a few minutes on, a few minutes off) with the paper in place. Btw, the fan comes on about 30 degrees f before the over temp light comes on (208f vs 248f) - if you see the light, then it's time to be concerned.

Without the paper blocking the radiator, my fan never comes on. The rappy has a very efficient cooling system.
i dnt have any problems with my bike but thanks for that paper trick....just learned something new....thanks quadmaniac

1 - 11 of 11 Posts