Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a problem keeping my 700 cool at idle. You can ride it hard all day and it stays around 176 degrees Fahrenheit. Sitting idle, or putting around it will get really hot. Like 240+ My thermostat is new, my fan kicks on at 220. Do i have a problem? By comparrison my friends 450 can idle all day

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When the fan comes on at what temp does it turn off on your Raptor? I believe Quervo has a plug and play set up that turns the fan on earlier.
Not sure because if its just sitting idling it doesnt cool back off. And when i ride it and it cools down i cant see or hear when the fan stops. I should also mention that it is mid 90s temp weather here right now

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
My fan will cool my motor down while sitting still and shutt off and come back on again when the temp rises some. Make sure your fan is operating at full speed, it should pull plenty of air to cool the engine at a dead stop.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a way to tell if its going full speed? Its kinda hard to see in there without burning my face on a header...

Think it could be something with coolant circulation? Because its just fine when your in the throttle. Water pump gear has no broken teeth or anything though, impeller looks good, spins smooth. My temp light comes on around 240 so i think my temp sensor is ok.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You may need to compare it with a buddy’s quad. With the front grill off you should feel air being pulled through the radiator when your hand is about 2” in front of the radiator.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of coolant are you running? Regular antifreeze is fine as long as it is 50/50 or less (less coolant to water).
Just plain ol autozone green stuff. 50/50 mix. It was suggested to me that i try engine ice, and im ok with that, i just dont want to ignore a problem if there is one

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
is there any dirt or mud in between your radiator fins?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,566 Posts
Be sure to bleed the air at the head and thermostat.

Look in the radiator for turbulence, increasing with throttle.

Be sure the fan turns the correct rotation.

Test the thermostat to open at 180 in a pan with boiling water and a meat thermometer.

Be sure your map isn't lean at idle.

Fan should be close to the radiator as possible without touching.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Na, its pretty clean really. I mean sure its brown tinted, lol, but i can see through it everywhere.

I was going to run it earlier to verify radiator turbulence, fan direction and speed, etc. Started raining though so all i did was check my radiator fins and open the radiator cap. My radiator was 1/3 qt low. My overflow never raised or lowered on my last ride (when i was overheating). I know this for sure because i was checking it constantly. So now im thinking its a pressurized issue? Otherwise my missing coolant would have went into the reservoir and then got sucked back in the radiator as it cooled, right?

·
Registered
340 Posts
4stroker- check the rad cap over carefully. Specifically the rubber gasket underneath. If it is distorted in anyway you need a new cap. Also might be worth putting the rad cap in a pot of water on the stove top with a meat thermometer and check the temp that the rad cap opens and closes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,566 Posts
As TT94 says it could be a bad cap. Pumps water out, won't suck it back in. But every time you take the cap off it breaks the vacuum and it has to start the air purge over again.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So i got it all cleaned up to check for leaks, topped off the radiator, and started it up. I had to jump the damn lugs on my chinese solenoid to start it, but well come back to that. Found where my missing coolant was going, the thermostat bleed screw backed out a bit and had a slow drip. Tightened it up and it seems to be working normally now. Fan turns on at 220, turns back off at 200. Im guessing once the radiator lost enough coolant on that last ride it just couldnt keep up with the heat. So my advice is to check for leaks before you overthink things like me!

Back to my start issue. Solenoid clicks one time when i push the starter button. Jump the lugs on the solenoid and it fires right up. Bad solenoid?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Back to my start issue. Solenoid clicks one time when i push the starter button. Jump the lugs on the solenoid and it fires right up. Bad solenoid?

New solenoid fixed it. And i got lucky! Local powersports shop didnt have one for a raptor, but they had one for a yzf250 or yzf450! Same thing just no rubber boot, which you can swap from your old one. $40 instead of $70 for the raptor solenoid!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Good deal

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cooling problem NOT solved, lol. But i think it finally got bad enough to show me the real problem. I think the radiator is blown. We rode hard for a couple hours at little sahara with no issues, then overheat again. Got back to camp and checked radiator, sure enough, half quart low. Coolant had dripped down onto my oil reserve tank and frame. So i think it has a pinhole in the back of the radiator that is getting bigger and making my overheat issue progressively worse. Any recommendations on a new radiator?

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is what I was gonna suggest as a means to eliminate a possibility. Make sure your radiator is clean and unblocked so air can travel through it easily. Odd that your fan doesn't turn itself on AND off. Does it cool the block at all once it turns on?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts