Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried a cooling vest while riding in hot, humid weather? If so, which one and how well did it work?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
ive always wondered if they made something like that...when im riding in MN here its very humid in the summer and im tired of sweating my ass off all the time. i probably still would with one of those but it would still help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are 3 different kinds of cooling vests:

The evaporative vests are the simpliest. You just soak it in water and it keeps you cool as the water evaporates. But, the reviews are mixed. The water will not evaporate well in humid enviroments, and they can feel like riding with a wet tshirt.

Vests with coolings packs sound like they would be bulky and require a freezer to keep recharging the packs.

Phase change vests sound like the best, but are expensive.

There are some vests that claim to be made for motorcycles. But, real reviews are hard to find.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
ya i could see the evaportive one being tough to dry in really humid weather im just fine theres plenty of lakes around the trails to jump in and cool off

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Just got out of ER for dehydration. I need a good one for 95 degree days added to 85% humidity = hella heat index. You get soaking wet walking to the quad to start it. By the time it's warmed up you're almost over heated already drank 3 gatoraides. Post a review please on the best one. From an actual owner of one.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Wow, glad you're ok Dano, heatstroke sucks!!! I've DNF in 2 races last year because of it. You have to keep hydrated a lot!!! Last time I raced a really hot race (105deg) I drank about a quart of water per hour and kept pouring cold water on my head and shoulders, worked wonders and finished fine. I just bought this one today:
It has some pretty good reviews and the price was really good. Will have another hot race on the 24th of September so I can review after that.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Thanks bro. It sucks bad to feel like that. I was sick with a stomach bug for a day or 2 before event. I never fully recovered from it. I kept drinking but with bug and heat it came up quick as it went down. 3 days of this I was drained to the point I was dizzy and had cold chills. I knew then I'd better get ass to an I V cause drinking wasn't doing it. Never try riding sick and in heat. New lesson learned. Thanks for upcoming review.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts