1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
907 Posts
I would stay away from the copper head gaskets. They seem to leak if you don't prep them right and almost usually need an oring on the cylinder and even then they leak coolant. I would stick with cometic but the best kind of head gasket is the oem kind.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I would stay away from the copper head gaskets. They seem to leak if you don't prep them right and almost usually need an oring on the cylinder and even then they leak coolant. I would stick with cometic but the best kind of head gasket is the oem kind.
what about for the guys running lower compression motors...do they still have leaking issues...? also...has anyone tryed to heat the copper gasket up prior to install...say to 200 degrees...then use HD studs and torque to 45 ft/lbs...i would think this should hold well..with the copper being hot and soft and the added tq that it would form alittle better and seal well...just a thought not sure if anyone has tried it...if i had the time and money to play around i would....

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
03, why go through the bother with a low compression motor?(9.8 stock) Copper gaskets get into whanting toaquire a specific compression ratio dependent on gasket thickness. Copper gaskets should also require, as you mentioned a cylender stud kit for better and higher pre load along with a gasket sealer and o-ringing the head. These applications and setup are generaly beyond the needs of a simple rebuild.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
I think o3 was saying that for a racing purpose. If you are running a stock engine there really wouldn't be a need. That is part of the reason for a copper gasket anyway is because they come in different thicknesses and allow you to set the DCR right to the edge.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Cometic MLS gasket. It has a dead soft aluminum ring around the combustion chamber / cylinder.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
03, why go through the bother with a low compression motor?(9.8 stock) Copper gaskets get into whanting toaquire a specific compression ratio dependent on gasket thickness. Copper gaskets should also require, as you mentioned a cylender stud kit for better and higher pre load along with a gasket sealer and o-ringing the head. These applications and setup are generaly beyond the needs of a simple rebuild.
i ment the 10.75 low compression, sorry i wasnt clear on that lol. yeah it sounds like ill just stick with the cometic, thanks!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Use the OEM. I had a copper one and it would let out a small leak when riding. PITA
I see this is an old thread from 10 years ago!!!! But I see that 102mm will work with the OEM head gasket.... Now is this Correct? If anyone happens to see this let me know,because I bought a copper head gasket and I had a fountain of antifreeze coming out my muffler....Lol.... My Raptor660r had Diarrhea.....

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts