Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my recent build I have noticed that my head gasket is not sealing properly around the outside of the engine. I want to take the head off and fix it but don't want to buy another top end gasket set just for the head gasket (I already have 2 of every other gasket.) Plus I have only ridden the quad for a couple hours to do tuning. I have heard the copper ones are re-useable and was thinking about going that route. Is it true that they are re-useable? is there some sort of adhesive that is used or just the copper plate?

The other option I might have is to re-use the old one if that is even possible. I don't like this option as much since it is one of the three plate styles and I don't know if I would trust it to seal.

Also, if I'm going to take the head back off I think I would want to do head studs to increase the torque capacity to help prevent leaks. Is this a good idea?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Studs are never a bad idea. If you have head gasket issues i suggest checking your head and cylinder to make sure they are level. If either are warped, even a little bit, they will seep. Copper gaskets can be reused but you have to anneal them before reusing.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
If you want Maxtrax, I have a copper head gasket that I was going to use but desided not to.They are re-useable but can be a PITA.. , you haft to re torque then several times to get a good seal, but once they are sealed you are good to go. Also they recomend a copper coat to help the seal.
The studs are a good idea for the 3 pluger,it really helps hold things together. I drill & tap my cyl to accept bigger bolts & can now torque to right aroung 40 LB or so.... Thanks Willy;)...

Good luck with whatever you deside to do.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
What does anneal Mean?????????
When you re use the copper gasket or if it has been sitting around for awhile & is discolored you should anneal the copper gasket .. to do so you need to heat up the gasket with a oxegen/acetylene tourch or equivalent using a figure 8 pattern, watch for the gasket th go through the collor changes, blue, green, then orange(molten)..heat it just to the orange state then drop it in a bucket of watter & try to drop the gasket in the watter evenly at the same time...Thats it, you gasket is now annealed.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some copper can age/strain harden. Annealing basically makes the copper soft again so it is pliable and will form to the the shape you need easily.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Sorry you're having such problems getting it sealed. Might be time to check the head and cylinder to see if anything has warped.

You can buy just the head gaskets, whether you're using OEM or aftermarket.

I have reused a head gasket in a pinch, but only after the initial install and before the follow up torquing. Worked just fine but in your situation I'd be concerned because you won't know if you fixed the problem and the used gasket is just leaking or if the original problem remains.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm wondering if there is a torquing issue. Being that I am running a high compression piston and Willy's setup it wouldn't' surprise me if the 10yr old studs stretched some. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to run studs or get some bigger bolts.

Where can I get just a 102mm head gasket for a reasonable price?

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. Thats nice to know. I have a brand new one of those but I didn't know if it would work or not.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm wondering if there is a torquing issue. Being that I am running a high compression piston and Willy's setup it wouldn't' surprise me if the 10yr old studs stretched some. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to run studs or get some bigger bolts.

Where can I get just a 102mm head gasket for a reasonable price?
I don't know if the 660's are the same but on the 700 your not suppose to reuse the head bolts.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
I don't know if the 660's are the same but on the 700 your not suppose to reuse the head bolts.
You can use the head bolts more than once on both the 700 and the 660, but as with most four stroke atvs the head bolts are only designed to take that stretch so many times. A quick check of the manual and you'll see the head bolts aren't specified "NEW" like everything else that can't be reused.

That said, you can't use the same head bolts through a half dozen tear downs and 10 years of service...Max you're way past the service life on those head bolts...

·
Registered
366 Posts
Your right MD. I thought the manual called for new bolts, but I was wrong. I've reused the stock bolts a few times but they're not really designed to be torqued over and over and they will stretch quite a bit.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
If you got the cash then I would put studs in. Increased torque capacity and your not tighting a steel bolt in aluminum threads. It is steel on steel when your torque down the nuts.

I put in both the case to cylinder, and cylinder to cylinder head studs on my raptor. I got them from KMS. The head studs have a place for an allen wrench so you can thread them in to the cylinder with the head alread sitting on. That way you can remove them later on and not have to take the engine clear out to slide the head up and off the studs.

Just make sure you put a little antisiez on the studs where they thread in to the cylinder.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It looks like the KMS head studs are our of stock. Anyone use the WellerRacing studs? Also I was told another option is tapping the holes to to a larger size but I'd like to stay with the stock threads if possible.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,776 Posts
the WellerRacing studs?
If KMS is out of stock, U'd be best off with WellerRacing. It's getting harder & harder to find performance parts for the (close to being obsolete) 660 based motors........

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On the other hand, the 3/8 grade 8 bolt conversion would be a quicker (and cheaper) way to get me back up and running. Anyone running this? Do you use flanged bolts? Socket head style? Lengths?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
On the other hand, the 3/8 grade 8 bolt conversion would be a quicker (and cheaper) way to get me back up and running. Anyone running this? Do you use flanged bolts? Socket head style? Lengths?
I think Tommy, Willy and Banshee2Raptor are running these. I think I will be also running them here in the next week on my 01 with a 14:1 piston....

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've already sent him a message but he didn't know the sizes straight off hand. He said it would take him some time to check on it so I figured I'd see if anyone else had the info handy.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts