Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to do something different this spring break and try out Coral Pink Dunes. I was wondering if anyone on here had been there, and if so, what you thought about it . I'm in So. Cal. and normally goto Glamis or Dumont, but thought we'd try changing the scenery this trip.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Probably my favorite place to go. We do two trips a year - one in the spring and one in the fall. It is too damm hot there in the middle of summer. We went the first time in July and rode a few hours in the morning and a few in the evenings, but midday was too hot (110 degrees or so). There are no HUGE dunes, but if you like trails, it is awesome. The camp is great too. Paved RV pads, concrete picnic area with nice tables, and never ending hot water showers for the end of the day. It is also very pretty and not too crowded. Go to dunereview.com and check out the pictures. Again, pretty much my favorite. Since we're on the subject, give me some pointers on Glamis - we are going next week, but have never been there. Camp suggestions etc. would be welome. (We are the quiet mid 40's family types.......Gecko road might not be for us!)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Coral pink is pretty sweet. I was out there last fall. There are some short, steep dunes that go up through pine trees too. Like it was said, the camping spots are very nice - paved and easy access to the dunes. You can use Hauler paddles there too since the sand is pretty clear from debris. Carbed bikes really need to jet down about 10 sizes since the elevation is about 6k. About 1 hour west of there past near St. George UT is another place to dune too called Sand Hollow. Beautiful but rocky dunes, better to use molded paddles there. Gorgeous place, near a lake too, with a some small bowls, a race hill, and some medium-sized dunes. You can actually dune at both places in one day.There is a short-cut partially paved road called Cane Beds Rd that connects the two outside of Colorado City. Check it out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Really looking foward to the trip. As for Glamis there's a few options for parking. Gecko Rd. as you mentioned will be packed due to the holiday, doubt you could find parking if you wanted to. If you follow the 78 from Brawley and go pass Gecko about nine miles you'll come to Glamis Beach Store. A couple of hundred yards before the store is the entrance to the Dust Bowl, a large flat parking area ( about 20- 25 acres,this is where vendors row is at), but unless you get their on wendsday it'll probably be full also. Your best bet is the washes. Just pass Glamis Store but before the railroad tracks (coming from Brawley) turn right down the dirt road that runs beside the tracks. As you follow the road look towards your left now and then. You'll notice the wash tunnels going under the tracks. The're painted and numbered, it's a good way to tell others where you are and keep track of your camp (Hey, I'm at wash 6 !). After about wash 15 the road really becomes wooped out. We normally go between 6 and 12. Parking will be all on the right side. My suggestion is to pull as far away from the road as possible (bring a four wheel drive), the closer to the dunes you are, the less dust your going to have to deal with. Plus the trains (like the 2 strokes) run all night. Parkerd here you'll be up against the small dunes, the farther you ride back towards Gecko the bigger they get.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Was up there in October, first and only dune trip so far. Was very fun, first runs I did where at night, did not realize how steap things where during the light. You can buy you sticker at the gate, and bring a flag. Depending on what you have to camp with you can stay at a parking area outside the park for free, but there's no facilities there, just a big puddle. Like said above some fun trails through the pines and some room to explore. Wish I had trailer or something other than a tent next time, we were rained out on Saturday so I packed up and went home after a night and full day of ridding.

·
Registered
158 Posts
tejas58 said:
Probably my favorite place to go. We do two trips a year - one in the spring and one in the fall. It is too damm hot there in the middle of summer. We went the first time in July and rode a few hours in the morning and a few in the evenings, but midday was too hot (110 degrees or so). There are no HUGE dunes, but if you like trails, it is awesome. The camp is great too. Paved RV pads, concrete picnic area with nice tables, and never ending hot water showers for the end of the day. It is also very pretty and not too crowded. Go to dunereview.com and check out the pictures. Again, pretty much my favorite. Since we're on the subject, give me some pointers on Glamis - we are going next week, but have never been there. Camp suggestions etc. would be welome. (We are the quiet mid 40's family types.......Gecko road might not be for us!)
Hey Old Man, Have Fun and Be Safe............Oh and Take lots of Pictures while your down there.

Robe

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well spent seven days out in Utah, three in Coral Pink and four in Sand Hollow. Had a really good time in both places. The dunes were glass in both locations, couldn't beleive how empty they were. Anyways wanted to try posting a couple of pictures. Lets see if I can figure this out.
[/img]

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Man I love to ride the dunes when they are like that. In the morning after a good wind storm at night. You didn't get any action pics of you or your kid??

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dunereveiw.com will give you some info on Coral Pink, but I don't think they have anything listed on Sand Hollow. The riding was great at both locations. The main dunes at coral Pink reminded me alot of Oceano Dunes (pismo beach), but with the addition of alot of great sand trails the trees. At Sand Hollow the dunes were kind of hidden in the back of the place. From the staging area you ride up a pretty good sized hill then follow a sand trail for about ten minutes, pass thru a couple of small dune areas and ride thru a hole in a fence, keep riding for another ten minutes down the trail and suddenly your in your own sand playground. It's only a few hundred acres of dunes, buy when your the onlyone playing in them it's really cool. Plus you can ride right down to the lake and go fishing or take a dip. Sand Hollow is east off of I15 just out of St. George Utah (about two hours north of Vegas). Off I15 go East on Hwy 9, about four miles down the 9 you take a left hand turn into the park. Coral Pink is about another hour and a half drive beyond that. Here's a couple of pics of the lake at Sand Hollow, and one of my boy hitting a dune at Coral Pink.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.