Raptor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off the bike is in a bunch of pieces. Motor is apart getting a +4 getting put in. The head is at a local shop getting what is described as a (trail port) & the center valve guide milled down. I have the 10.75 JE piston, stage 2 cam and valve springs here but where are you guys getting your ferrea valves from???

Stock swingarm is getting the 2 inch extension per the suspension section on the forum.

Just ordered the +2 lsr a arms. 450 shocks already on the bike. Will the stock brake lines work? If not, is it better to get the 2 lines to come off of the brake master cylinder or have the tee at the bottom? My front brakes have never been the greatest. Multiple times bleeding brakes, new pads and so forth. I can never get my front tires to lock up if I need to.

Are any of you guys using aftermarket handlebars? Its hard to look on a website and try to tell how the bends are on them. I'm 5'11" and i'm not lazy when it comes to moving around on the bike.

Any responses will be helpful. Keep up the good work guys!

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
My bike is completely stock, motorwise. Can't comment on any of those questions. I'm looking at doing the +2 swinger as well, so I'm going to watch this one for more info on that one too. As far as bars go, I'm running the ProTaper Raptor bend with Pillow Top grips, I love that setup. I know other guys like different bars, I guess it's all personal preference. Obviously we will want pictures as your build progresses!

·
Master of the Electron
15,408 Posts
I also have Pro Taper Raptor bends on a +2 LSI anti-vibe steering stem.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess i'll order these bars from rm. Is anybody using different levers? Getting anxious about getting this thing running with the new setup. It was running before I tore it down but it was starting to burn oil. Everything is going smooth but hopefully I dont get a stick in the spokes.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
You can go up to a +4 swinger on the stock break line with some adjustment.

I believe you can run +2 arms with stock brakelines as well, but would be a good idea to upgrade though not necessary. You'll want them longer from the 'T' to the calipers.

I've run a couple different sets of bars, but no clue on the bends.

Good luck, and enjoy the new build ! :beer:

·
Super Moderator
17,060 Posts
The stock brake lines work ok with +2 arms, but you'll have to remove the clamps/guides from the a-arms to do this. I'm not even sure if the stock plastic ones would fit your aftermarket a-arms anyway.

As for brake lines, the t-type were a little easier for me to install but are a little different to bleed than dual lines from the reservoir. I have have both and don't particularly recommend one over the other as I don't experience a practical difference.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies on the brake lines. I guess I'll just purchase aftermarket ones with some clamps to make it a done deal. Now the motor is apart and I'm glad I took it apart when I did. A piece of my piston had broken off and siezed my oil pump. Now trying to find one locally is a joke. I had changed my oil that morning before we went riding so it must have happened that day.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Trying to find one locally is a joke, meaning that nobody has them, or prices are outrageous?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little bit of both. I live in a military town and shops around here like to jack up prices on any off road stuff. The local place said 150 plus tax and 10 days to arrive. Another place about 45 min away had me on hold forever and when I hung up to call back, they turned on their closed message. I remember people on here ordering parts from some place and entering some promotional code for a discount. I'm searching right now trying to find it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only place to have it in stock was motosport which was 115.00 with 2 day shipping.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure Bragg is no different in the way they price gouge as they do up here at Drum. It sucks, because you either pay the ridiculous prices to maybe get something right away, or you order out and pay maybe less, but usually it takes longer. I know the feeling.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont like to bash people or companies but our local dealership is total garbage. They never have anything in stock. I like to support local businesses but this is one that I guess I will avoid. When I get this quad going, its pretty much going to be a totally different ride.

·
Super Moderator
17,060 Posts
It's been my experience that few dealers have a large stock of parts, often not even what you might consider common parts.

That said, I don't expect them to carry a full spare parts list for a 10 year old atv.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Believe me md, I understand them not having a lot of parts for a 10 year old quad. This pertains to any motorcycle/ atv/ dirtbike. They are an order only parts place and wont take orders over the phone. Just glad this forum is here to help me with finding places to order stuff from.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I wonder why they wouldn't take orders over the phone. I worked at a powersports dealer a few years back, and I'd say a good 40% of the business was done over the phone, the remaining 60% split between in-store and internet orders. Seems odd that the local dealership won't. Oh well, maybe things are different down there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah this place is more of an old fashioned type of place. They dont even have a website. Personally, I think that they are losing out on business but that is my pov. All is well because I have my parts coming anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts