Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been struggling with these stupid things for 3 hours and I can't even get the first one in. Please tell me there is some magical trick that I'm missing here! I'm about ready to take the lower section of my engine and the piston to a shop to end my frustration. Please help! :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
They actually go in pretty easy. Start by installing one clip into the piston (the right one) sitting at the bench. there is a notch you will notice at the bottom of the pin bore. If you think of walking the c clip in a clockwise direction then start one end of the clip at about 9:00 (the notch is generally at 7:00ish). place the end of the c clip in the groove and hold that in place with your left thumb. use a small straight screwdriver and push with your right hand from 9:00 to 10:00 to 11:00 to 12:00 and you get the picture. Each time you push a little more of the c clip into the groove you walk your left thumb around clock wise securing what you have placed into the groove.
Then when you install the piston onto the rod you should wrap the rod with clean towel so if you drop the c clip installing it on the left pin bore it won't fall into the crank case.
Good luck.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I've been struggling with these stupid things for 3 hours and I can't even get the first one in. Please tell me there is some magical trick that I'm missing here! I'm about ready to take the lower section of my engine and the piston to a shop to end my frustration. Please help! :mad:
|I only use my thumbs and finger nails with no problems..........:D

·
Registered
482 Posts
Pointy nosed pliers and a small screwdriver... Oh, And stuff the crankcase with a large rag.. :)

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I should add that this only applies to the non snap ring tool style circlip..........:D
When you have installed as many piston cirplips as willykiller has, you could probably do it with one hand, while drinking a beer with the other.............. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
patience is key. The more frustrated you get the worse it will be. It took me a while to get mine in but it does go in so just take you time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts