Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just go my piston in the other day, er.. to my house. I have the quad torn down but CAN NOT get the head off. I took one bolt out of the front, and back, the 2 allen heads off the left side, and the 2, 12mm bolts out of the right side. Oil tube, and cam gear, exhaust, throttle body, and the mount on top of the head. Am I missing a bolt somewhere?

A friend of mine is putting the same piston in his 07 raptor 700 and he said his head took a tap or two with a rubber hammer. My 08 raptor has NEVER been apart. I put a came in it but other than that the motor is stock. I have hit it hard enough to knock chunks out of my rubber hammer. I have also tried prying on the head using the tabs that are on it. It feels like there are some bolts still in it, but I dont see them.:eek:

Some one get me back on my way and tell me what I am missing...

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,450 Posts
Did you take the two bolts that are upside down on the right side? One on the front and back of head.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one in front, (under the exhaust), and the one in the back (under the throttle body) where both upside down. Are there 2 more upside down on the right side of the motor??????

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I count 6 bolts around the base of the head, and 3 from the bracket holding the top of the head to the frame. So 9 in total.

·
Ridin High.....
961 Posts
I count 6 bolts around the base of the head, and 3 from the bracket holding the top of the head to the frame. So 9 in total.
Yell at it, then hit it with ur mallet again. Mine popped right off.

·
Ridin High.....
961 Posts
Did you take out the head studs?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
There's 8 total bolts that hold the head onto the cylinder. 2 front and rear center, (the upside down ones), 4 long head bolts, and 2 small allen head bolts just under the cam cover on the left side.

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Yep, 2 long 12mm headed bolts, 2 medium lenth 12mm headed bolts and two short 12mm headed bolts then the two allen headed bolts.
Also, make sure the timing chain has been taken off the cam sprocket.....had a guy call me once and that was what was holding the cylinder head down lol.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Timing set is off. The 2 medium lenght bolts, they are on the left side? I got the 2 upside down bolts, the 2 long ones on the right, and the allen heads.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Two bolts are on the left side at the top. The bolt heads sit in shallow pockets and require a socket to remove.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:slap: dohhh

·
Registered
34 Posts
:grin_nod: Lolz

Glad you got it!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yep... walked in, those two bolts where sitting there. Got them out, and tapped the head and just like that it was loose.... Man I feel like an idiot, but im glad it was simple and not something major.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts