Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is the trick to install these pain in the butt clips? without destroying anything!

·
Dune Shredder
744 Posts
So what is the trick to install these pain in the butt clips? without destroying anything!
Too funny, I just did mine tonight. Install one clip with piston in hand. I found a large punch works pretty dang good. The punch I use is about 7" long with a 1/4" tip. Hold the clip in place with your fingers, take the punch in the other hand and push hard and it will go in place. I found a screwdriver or sharp pointed punch does not work well and will slip. Do the same procedure when installing on the rod. For sure they have some strong tension and you have to fight 'em some.

Good luck

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Al your not the only one whos asked. I have had customers call and order replacements because they bent it up after getting frustrated. I use one of those stubby flat head #3 screwdrivers.

·
Registered
100 Posts
point the gap of the c-clip towards 6 o'clock position, intall it gap first and place a flat top screw driver at the 12 o'clock position and use the piston to pry against and it should pop right in ,, works for me every time

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Did 2 piston installs and both times getting these on and off was a total pain. There is a tool for that BTW... Otherwise, as others stated, you can wiggle it in with a screwdriver or similar tool, but it's still a major PITA...

·
Registered
186 Posts
subscribed

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
and when u finally do get them off and on be carefull not to drop one in the motor. It will be a sob to get out if u can find it lol i got lucky

·
Registered
482 Posts
I did mine with a screwdriver, Bitch to get in, Make sure to stuff the crankcase with a rag in case it falls in.. :)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Get a old wrist pin and place it in the piston like normal, and install the first clip on the bench, the wrist pi keeps you from gouging the inner surface of the piston if you happen to slip.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
They are ridiculous! I got mine in by using needle nose vice grips. Grabbed it near one of the open ends. Stuck the other end in the groove. Then pushed in while trying to curl the clip smaller. It worked but it was a pain still.

Something else to remember is your piston has a pin hole that allows you to insert a pin into it to pry the clip out. You want one of the ends to be just past that point. It makes them easier to remove.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.