Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new cp tech piston notlong ago and was wondering if anyone has made a how to guide for installing it, I haven't been able to find one and don't really understand the file to fit rings, and how to be shore what the gaps should be one a stock bore,this is my first install, any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody?, I have got my raptor tore down now, the still has somelight cross hatch on it, there is a 1/4 black ring around the top of the cylinder and prob a 3/4 ring around the bottom where the weAr is different is this normal? Can I just use break cleaner and a white scoth brute to get rid of the top ring? Do you just scotch Brits up and down or do you have to try and follow the cross hatch?

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
As long as the nikasil plating hasn't worn through, you can clean it up with scotchbrite/brake clean. Basically you are just de-glazing it. Can you post a pic of the cylinder?

If you haven't seen the "how-to" section, you should look through it. There is a link to download the service manual there as well. Take the time to read through the engine section of the service manual. It will walk you through the piston install process.

Here's a link:
http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And another question, how much would it be to get my head ported? I just want a
Basic trail port Job nothing to fancy, just want more power with a trail friendly raptor

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Got my cp tech piston installed and everything back together but was wondering how do y'all recommend I break it in?
Some go with the " break it in like you ride it" method or there is the try not to go over half throttle for 2 tanks of gas method. With the latter method you should also not hold the throttle in one place for long, it needs to vary to help seat the rings.

·
Registered
235 Posts
scotchbrite is not really the way to hone a cylinder...lol. your bike should run fine probably, but a quick ball hone job would have been way better. a proper crosshatch is a lot better start on a new motor...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.