Raptor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am new to this and this is my third thread already!! It was a rough weekend for my Raptor!

I was washing up my raptor and notice that the chain guard was loose. Turns out that I cracked the section that connects to the ATV, the top right screw, if you are looking at the atv. Is there any way of fixing this? It basically cracked off of the crank case? There are two other screws that hold the guard in place, and it is not a safety hazard, but would like to know if this has happened to anyone else and if there is a way to fix it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bolt is still attached to the plastic cover, and the piece of the crank case that it is attached to, is what actually cracked. So, I guess I am wondering what I can use to re-attach the cracked piece from the crank case?? Can it be welded? just wondering?

·
Registered
34 Posts
been running mine with JB weld for over a year and it's still holding up fine with some very hard riding. Just make sure you don't have to much slop in your chain and you will be ok.

·
Registered
332 Posts
dude its one of those things that just happens, happened to mine and my buddies '01

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sorry to hijack your thread but ive done the same

i dont think Chewing gum is going to fix this s...!!!!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Ok everyone is going to say I am crazy but if you will take it to a welding shop they can TIG weld it. I am a cheap arse and perfer not to replace parts. I'd rather weld, tape, wire, silicon, or JB weld it. :) BUt most welding shops can do that and have u out for about $35

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I talked to a weld shop and they would not touch, unless the it was completely removed from the machine. In order to weld aluminum, the piece has to be brought up to 350 degrees F and this shop would not do that with the whole thing intact. Also, the price was going to be more in the neighborhood of $150-$200.

I had the the exact same crack as pictured here and I used JB Weld. It looks good and from what I hear from everyone else, it is probably the easiest solution for this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dazz, what happened? Did the chain come off and cause the crack? Just curious, that is what happened with mine.

·
Registered
896 Posts
It was an idea. If you was closer to me I'd say bring it over. The reason it has to be heated up is aluminum dissipate heat so fast and the welder alone wont get it there fast enough. .

·
Registered
320 Posts
i dont have a clue what happened to it ...
my wife rode it all weekend no probs i even rode it and never noticed it i found it when i was washing it.... my buddy who is a tig welder thinks it wont be a prob to tig it with the motor in place

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JB Weld did not hold!!

First crack at JB Weld to fix the hole in the crankcase did not work. Went out yesterday and the fix did not stay fixed!! All of you out there that fixed their machines this way, can you tell me how you applied the JB Weld?

I took the piece that cracked off and the crankcase area and thoroughly cleaned everything with acetone. I tried to put some JB Weld in the hole and then used the JB Weld to re-attached the piece that broke off? I think that part of the problem may have been that the JB Weld was a little to runny still when I was applying it to the crankcase?

I am going to clean up everything and take another shot at it. I would like to know how any of you out there did it and then I will try a similar method.

I am thinking that I am going to have the JB Weld harden up a little bit, before putting it in the hole, but I guess I would like to know if any of you re-attached the piece that broke off.

As always... Any input on this would be great!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anybody think of using something like a alumalloy or durafix to take case of this problem? I am wondering if anyone has gone that route or considered it? Would love to hear from someone that tried it or considered it and decided not to??

Here is a video of the durafix product... seems like the perfect solution to this problem..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts