Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Raptor 660r
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing is blown up! 🙃 I am actually building out my raptor 660 at the moment. All new mods are listed in signature with hollow points if it helps out.

I sealed up my cases, properly timed crankshaft and balancer by aligning the two gears where the little dot is. When I crank the flywheel to test movement the crank gets stuck a few mm before TDC and about an inch above BDC. If I remove counter balance gear and hand crank balance to the right spot the engine cranks freely. The balance has a new washer as recommended by service manual. Only thing that I could think possible is the crank bearing on mag side has a small gap from the case. I would like a second opinion on that because I have two options which would be A: split cases, remove cylinder and piston and crank, repeat process of heating case and freezing crank which would probably damage oil seal on balance. Other option B: buy the expensive yamaha crank puller to pull crank all the way into position (which I thought it was even with small gap). Lastly, on the clutch side, the larger crank diameter sits perfectly flush with ID of bearing so If I align crank then the clutch side might be off. I'll probably do B and sell the tool a year later. Both are a pain in the ass considering this project has already taken 4 months.

I'm confused...
Thanks so much for any help! I probably look pretty stupid building a whole engine and asking a question as basic as this.
This was also posted on Modded Raptor, didn't realize it was a pretty dead forum.

·
Registered
02 raptor 686 k&n alexx exhaust
256 Posts
I rebuilt mine 6 months ago and used a pit posse, a nut from ace, and two steel beams across the cases to pull it. Wasn’t able to find anything made specifically for the 660 now. All the listings say does not fit 660 so be aware if your gonna buy one. Good luck

·
Registered
2001 Raptor 660r
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rebuilt mine 6 months ago and used a pit posse, a nut from ace, and two steel beams across the cases to pull it. Wasn’t able to find anything made specifically for the 660 now. All the listings say does not fit 660 so be aware if your gonna buy one. Good luck
I'm quite the awful welder but I introduce to you:
I introduce to you!!!

·
Registered
2001 Raptor 660r
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hahahaha hey as long as it worked
It actually did! Although my main issue is still not fixed. I advanced my counterbalance by 20 degrees and everything works fine. Might say screw it and send it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts