Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im about to adjust my valves but i have no idea what size allen wrench i need to remove the crankshaft end scew...i bought couple of them but either they r too big or too small.

·
Registered
556 Posts
14mm......want to save a little cash....flip your tool kit out and use the 14mm size spark plug removal tool end. :thumbsup:

Mike

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey Mike...i was lookin at the spark plug tool u got compared to mine..its different and the other end doesnt fit in the crankshatf end screw...strange..anyways i guess ill find the allen wrench somewhere..

one more thing..do i really need the tappet adjusting tool or can i do without and use something else?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hmm....the end you use a wrench on is not a 14mm? I've got 100 tool sets from bikes, skis, atvs....maybe it came with another. You won't find it at most places...it's an odd one. They have 12mm then 17mm ...nothing in the middle. As far as the tool...you don't need it if you take your time and guess on how tight to make it....and continue the process until you get it where ya want it.

Mike

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah its weird....the end i use the wrench on is actually big and wont even fit into the crankshaft end screw..hmm i guess ill have to find a specialty tool store for the 14mm

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
northridge ca

·
Registered
556 Posts
....you would get it faster if you bought it. I was going to send ya one to use....but your talking 5 -7 days shipping

M

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
damn bro u r too kind :) but thks anyways..ill go find one..i might as well get a tappet adjuster also..thks for your help

·
Registered
182 Posts
rockinfigs said:
damn bro u r too kind :) but thks anyways..ill go find one..i might as well get a tappet adjuster also..thks for your help
You dont need the tool, you can use needle nose pliers if u want, I used a small adjustable wrench. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yeah...I would skip the $25.00 tool and just hold it with your fingers and tighten it up. Now the whole assembly will move...it's ok...just set it a tad loose and then remeasure. Go back and forth a few times until you get it within spec. I would not buy the tool again after doing a few raptors this week. It's very loose and you can hold it while you get some crow's feet from sears and tighten her up.

Mike

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool yeah im gonna skip on the tappet tool...no for the crows feet..do i need it? is it really tight space where i would need one of those? or can i use a little adjustable wrench? the sets of crowfeet or expensive

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cool thks guys for all the info..got the valve adjusted and it was fairly easy...longest part is taking off the plastic...my valves were on the tight side. one thing i didnt do is torque the timing mark access screw and broke it off..luckily i extracted the screw out and need to buy a new one...but other than that everything went well..i used a regular wrench and my fingers to adjust the valve..thks again

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
uh oh..no i didnt ..i just tightened them with a wrench..but i tightened them pretty damn tight...dont tell me i have to take everything apart to torque them down??? :(

is 10 ft lbs alot? more than just tightenin it with a wrench??

·
Registered
556 Posts
I would NOT just chance that. If that nut comes loose and get's caught between the cam and the head walls....say goodbye to your engine man. I would take it back apart right away and put it at torque, if not I really think you will be sorry.

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts