Raptor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well had my first bad crash today, me and another guy on a blaster were going around a corner at the same time and we hit each other pretty hard. I went flying about 10 feet (helmet saved my ass, kids). Looked at my quad and I saw the bumper was bent up pretty bad so I said "eh I'll get another one on eBay" and then I tried riding it home and I noticed the front right wheel had a big problem. It's bent out quite a bit. I was hoping you guys could tell me how serious this is and how much you think it'll cost me. I can post some more detailed pictures tomorrow. The picture is taken with the handlebars pretty straight.

Attachments

·
www.gtpoffroad.com
2,576 Posts
I'd guess tie rods also.

I have some stock ones here, one is good, one is bent.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok seems like the general consensus is tie rods, are those relatively easy to repłace? Never done it before

·
www.gtpoffroad.com
2,576 Posts
They are pretty easy. One side is standard right hand thread, the other is Left hand thread. to remove them you can just spin the tie rod in the correct direction and it will come off. After you release the lock nuts of course.

The install can be time consuming getting the toe adjust right. Toe is the direction the tires point, out or in, like pointing your feet away (out) or together (in). You want to install the new parts, I recommend Mod quad brand ones. they are about $55 shipped from us. Keep the lock nuts lose, make sure the bars are straight, and that they stay straight while adjusting. You want about 1/8" to 1/4" of toe in (tires pointing together) Measure at the same point off the ground on the tire front and rear of it. Make just small adjusts to the tie rods, even a 1/4" turn makes a noticeable change.

·
Premium Member
2,573 Posts
When I bend one severely, I've learned that it can be easier to take the whole rod off (ends included) rather than to fight against the bend. Also this way you can mark your ends and return them to the same position on the new rod without putting any thought into toe adjustments. Last tie rod I bought was an oem yfz450 from a dealership under $40.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I like my helmet very much lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's some more detailed pictures. The rod itself doesn't look bent to me but something else does. For some reason it won't let me upload more than one pic at a time from my phone so I gotta do 3 posts.

Attachments

·
Registered
695 Posts
what bout the other tie rod and have u checked your steering stem to see if it twisted

·
Registered
893 Posts
Pitman looks bent and probably twisted the splines that it slips on.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Glad your ok could have been a lot worse, I would check the pitman arm and the stem for sure like the others said, The stems are weak and same goes for the splines. If it is bent, now would be a good time to upgrade to a aftermarket antivibe stem.

·
Ride or Die
1,348 Posts
Glad your okay man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
584 Posts
Pitman looks bent and probably twisted the splines that it slips on.
Like him and others have said: it could be tie rods, tie rod ends could've been damaged too, steering stem twisted, pitman arm or the splines could've skipped on the pitman arm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts