Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want build the the toughest raptor 700. Because I want to enter in local cross country race. And there are hill climbs, mud pits, really rocky terrain, some jumps, creek crossings(1 to 2 feet deep, maybe deeper). So I need to find the best setup. And still pretty new to modifying ATVs so if i'm missing any thing let me know. thanks

I was thinking about getting fox float x evol front shocks, And fox podium x for the rear. If you have a better setup for the shock let me hear it. Should I be worried about suspension travel?

A-arms and axle is the other thing I'm worried about. I've seen some atv's in gncc races with a-arms that look like they increase ground clearance, I think the style is called reverse gull wing. But you probably cant get skid plates for aftermarket a-arms. I'm not sure if getting a wider a-arms and axle be an advantage or not, because there are some pretty narrow trails. For the axle I'm probably going to need something much stronger I'm guessing.

For tires i was thinking of throwing some mudlites, or mudsharks, or swamplites. And for wheels id like to get the carbon fiber hiper technology. But not to sure of what tire and wheel size i want yet?

I want to make sure I get the best armor. I hear the aluminum and stainless steel swing arm skids. but which one is stronger? I also noticed that the stainless steel skids gives you more ground clearance the the aluminum ones. And for nerfs, I'm not even sure if I should put them on. Because i think they will drag in the mud or get hung up on rocks.

And for this 15t up grade is that going to help at all?

With the raptor 700 are the any dangers of overheating due to low speeds and high rpm on trails. Consider slowly going up a steep incline, mud, and getting tires caught in pits. these all will require high rpm without allowing proper air flow. I also hear that some people ran into some problems due to the location of the spark plug, it tends to fill up with mud and water and then starts to miss.

Does anyone have any experience in this kinds of race. Because this is completely new to me.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
899 Posts
You could run it stock. Get some skids, some races require nerfs you might want to check. I haven’t raced my 700 but when ever we go out the back door it like a GNCC. The conditions you describe are what I ride in every weekend. I’ve been through 2’ deep creek crossings no problem, 1 ½’ rocks under the water is the problem…pick a good line have skids on. You say a few jumps….The stock shocks are decent for fast trails…big jumps stress them out but if you want to be fast you won’t be airing it out to big…unless you are jumping obstacles that will slow you down. I see no need for a stronger axle unless you are a pro caliber racer….how hard do you ride now. 6 ply tires would be a good idea for flat protection…beadlocks …again if you ride super hard, ever try to change an atv tire…those beads are on there. I can see using them for real low pressure so the rim don’t spin inside of the tire. Never had a problem with overheating but you might want to look into a radiator guard because the radiator will just get peppered….unless you’re in 1st. Never had a problem with the spark plug hole and its been packed with mud, snow. Some things I think will help are handlebars with better ergonomics and a steering dampener. But anyway I bet one could race it stock cross country with better tires and good skids see what breaks you’ll be surprised how durable the stock stuff is.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yeah its pretty much been covered.....Skids and Tires are about all ya need to be decent in the XC world, this will be my 1st year Racing a 700 but coming off 2 years on the 660 ive made the Raptor a very decent woods Racer

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ive just started XC racing, tomorrow is my second race. Skids, 6-ply tires and Beadlocks are the main things, then maybe a steering stabilizer, flexx bars and then the ultimate, shocks! But i wiil tell you, Skill and endurance is where it is alll at. Just practice,practice,practice. Not to sure on the answers on your exact questions

·
Registered
899 Posts
RAD700R said:
Ive just started XC racing, tomorrow is my second race. Skids, 6-ply tires and Beadlocks are the main things, then maybe a steering stabilizer, flexx bars and then the ultimate, shocks! But i wiil tell you, Skill and endurance is where it is alll at. Just practice,practice,practice. Not to sure on the answers on your exact questions
That’s the best advice yet....I have raced a couple national hair and hound on dirt bikes, usually 2 forty mile loops and allot of guys I passed early would get me back because they were in better shape not because the rode better. I guy in shape who rides hard and practices can kick the shit out of most people on $10000 rigs with a stock machine

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ive raced XC for sometime now and like the previous statement says endurance is crucial! The shocks, steering stabalizer and even a hydraulic clutch are great additions in XC racing anything that makes the ride easier will help u tramendously. You also mentioned the 15T sprocket: Ive only ran my 700 in one race any I used to race a modded 400EX, the 700 is a huge step up in torque... I felt like my arms tired out a lot faster on my 700 because I had too much low end. Ive since installed the 15T on my bike and I think it will help a lot during races.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
A steering stabilizer a must, ;) better suspension, skids, flew bars, and get in shape. Nerf bars are a must in my opinion. Guys in the love to wad up in corners and tight sections. 15 tooth is not a bad idea. The goal is to ride with smooth tractable power with as little physical exertion as possible. Anything that cuts down on rider fatigue is a good idea. Get a Camelback, you will need it.

Mud Lights are not the answer. Look into something in the Razr or XC family. As far as A-arms go I like +2 long travel and shocks to match, with 4-1 offset wheels this essentially takes you back to +1. Going much wider can be a hinderance in the woods.

I ride TCS shocks and love them. Axis, PEP, and Elka are great too.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Mlove: Did you put the 15T on without any mods, and did it help pretty good?

BJH: Great advice, Do ride TCS shocks for XC racing? how do the +2 with 4+1 offset wheels work for you?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I do not race GNCC (yet) but I ride in North Carolina and I do an occasional hare scramble. I live 15 minutes from the GNCC track so all of my riding areas are of the same type. +2 long travel with 4-1 offset works great. I actually picked up on it from a GNCC rider. It seems a lot of them run this set-up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.