Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I should be getting my CT Racing exhaust for my 660 by this weekend. I just wanted to know if any of you knew about the disks? When your tuning with that exhaust is it more hp with all of them in or all of them out? How exactly does that work? Also, any opinion on the Diamond J Widening kit? I don't really want to splurge on the extended a-arms just yet, but I will later. I figured the Diamond J would be a good alternative until I do. So, any input on it would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I dont know much about the exhaust or widening kit but in the jetting thread I made a table a while back and most seem to use 16 discs. Here is the table....

·
Dirty Lil Bastard
602 Posts
Better HP with the discs...at least was the case for the Z400

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
More discs = more power/more noise. Less discs, less power, less noise.

:beer:

Diamond J seems to be a good alternative for the price. There's a couple members here who have that setup and have made some review threads.

·
Dirty Lil Bastard
602 Posts
More discs = more noise? I think you got that backword.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More discs = more power/more noise. Less discs, less power, less noise.

:beer:

Diamond J seems to be a good alternative for the price. There's a couple members here who have that setup and have made some review threads.
So, how do you remove or install them? I haven't gotten the exhaust yet, but it is in the mail. Would those review threads for the diamond j be in the modifications forum or the suspension forum?

·
Dirty Lil Bastard
602 Posts
There are some Allen bolts in the spark arrestor (which looks like a cap) remove that and remove the discs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are some Allen bolts in the spark arrestor (which looks like a cap) remove that and remove the discs.
Thanks for that info. But, just to recap you did say that having them all in was more beneficial as far as horsepower goes right?

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
More discs = more noise? I think you got that backword.
Nope, more discs (more power) = more noise. Don't ask me to explain it, that's just how it works :lol:

Correct, just screws off with some allen bolts, 5-10 min job :thumbsup:

Not sure where the threads are, I would expect suspension ?

pics to show you better:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope, more discs (more power) = more noise. Don't ask me to explain it, that's just how it works :lol:

ok so it looks like I will be leaving them all in there then. there is 16 total?

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
I think 16 is the amount it comes with. I never ended up running less. You can also purchase more discs from CT to run even more. I have a buddy on the forum that was running 20 or 22 (i forget exactly) at one point.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

pics to show you better:

Thats the same one I got. I bought it off a guy on craigslist for 130 bucks shipped. That cross tailight is sick. Where did you get that?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
$130 shipped !? That's a STEAL man ! Hell, $300 isn't a bad deal, so you should be dancing a jig right now! :beer:

Not sure where the tail light came from, I bought it from a mamber just after I joined the forum about 4 years ago. Haven't seen another since. Sold it a few months back though. Sorry I don't have a better answer for ya there :lol:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
$130 shipped !? That's a STEAL man ! Hell, $300 isn't a bad deal, so you should be dancing a jig right now! :beer:

Not sure where the tail light came from, I bought it from a mamber just after I joined the forum about 4 years ago. Haven't seen another since. Sold it a few months back though. Sorry I don't have a better answer for ya there :lol:
Oh I was dancing a jig when I called the guy and he still had it. I do have a question for you on it though. I will be running most likely a velocity intake and I don't think he is sending the carb jets with the kit like you said it comes with when you buy it new. So, if I am running the CT with the velocity intake and K&N what jet kit should I get? Sizes? Brand? Thanks man. Did you see the picture of the exhaust I put on the post before? Thats the same one you have right?

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Yup, same one. I've had a couple CT's - and they're all the same except sticker color. The model is actually called the 'CT Sonic'.

I think I mentioned earlier that CT is now doing a larger core (at least in the 700 pipe) though ? It might be worth shooting Alan @ CT a call to see what it would run you to get that larger core installed if they are doing it for the 660 pipe too? A buddy of mine just had his done for his 700 for about $75 including having it repacked, which I personally thought was a hell of a deal. Considering what you paid for the pipe, you'd still come out way ahead.

As far as the jet kit - if you do decide to have the larger core put in, just see if they'll send you a jet kit back with the pipe. I bet they'd include one for relatively cheap. The one mine came with had a small range of mains, bigger pilots (25's) and longer titanium needles.

Past that, check out some of the many threads on 'which jets to buy'. There's about 3,579 of them :lol: Mikuni, DynoJet - both good products, just use different numbering/sizing from eachother. I'm not real partial to the kits though because I don't always know what I'm getting, I just generally bought a range of or individual jets from the Yami shop.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup, same one. I've had a couple CT's - and they're all the same except sticker color. The model is actually called the 'CT Sonic'.

I think I mentioned earlier that CT is now doing a larger core (at least in the 700 pipe) though ? It might be worth shooting Alan @ CT a call to see what it would run you to get that larger core installed if they are doing it for the 660 pipe too? A buddy of mine just had his done for his 700 for about $75 including having it repacked, which I personally thought was a hell of a deal. Considering what you paid for the pipe, you'd still come out way ahead.

As far as the jet kit - if you do decide to have the larger core put in, just see if they'll send you a jet kit back with the pipe. I bet they'd include one for relatively cheap. The one mine came with had a small range of mains, bigger pilots (25's) and longer titanium needles.

Past that, check out some of the many threads on 'which jets to buy'. There's about 3,579 of them :lol: Mikuni, DynoJet - both good products, just use different numbering/sizing from eachother. I'm not real partial to the kits though because I don't always know what I'm getting, I just generally bought a range of or individual jets from the Yami shop.
I may do that? I was just wondering what size you thought I should run on the jets. I figured you would be the one to ask since you have the same pipe.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
That was a long time, a few pipes, a lot of mods, and a bike ago :lol: I think I settled on 25 pilots, 160/165 or 165/170 mains if I recall? Don't remember the needle clip position off the dome, but that's a decent starting point.

Temperature, altitude, and intake differences will change your ideal setup though. Any numbers that anyone gives you are really going to be nothing but a starting point, you'll want to tune from there.

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
More discs provides more area for exhaust gas to exit the pipe - consider the space between each pair of discs as a hole, with the last disc being a plug in the end of the pipe - more discs = more holes = less restriction to flow = more potential power = more noise.

Love my CT!

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
QM, have you contacted CT about the larger core they're offering now ? Would be interested (for curiousity's sake) to know if they were doing that on the 660 pipes too, along with what kind of advantages a mild build might see vs. the standard core.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
The only option I know of for CT pipes is the different midpipe to clear the FCR carbs. You'll lose hp if you run it, so don't unless you need to. I haven't checked into new options for about 5 years now though.

Use 16 discs, it's what comes with it. Some people claim they've gotten more power out of 20 discs but CT themselves typically recommend 16 for all out power and 12 for a slightly toned down pipe.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts