Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have a CT built engine? If so can you tell me the pros and cons, also how long it usually takes for CT to get you the motor back.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody knows anything?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I'm not sure but I think the member Quad Junkies might have had their engine sent out to CT. They definately had the 300cc bore done, I do remember that.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think twho got that package done to his sons Raptor.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Here I found one of his posts about it.
My son used to run a 300 kit . It was r&d motor ,no resleeving was done .Lasted 3 races. lol
That motor was bloody fast though ! We wanna add some grunt to my Sons. Hes craving torque more than anything .
We got dirt in the motor so we are now looking at a the motor split, then desiding what his poison will be . lol
Also sending head off to get it a little more aggressive as we still have lost of rooms to play .

To each there own , but Im looking at longeivty and reliability now. Im tired of watching my son sit out as all the other kids get more competitive .

Heres a clip of my sons 250 with the 300 motor in it . This was in the worcs series
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGNIBuLMa7E

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just wanted to add, Rage ATV builds some very fast 250 quads. Some are in the 35+ rwhp range..

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agree, I wish Yamaha would build a 250 quad with there YZ250F engine...

·
Registered
4,133 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you have the money and the time, I would buy a YZ250f motor off ebay or something and put it in the Raptor. Or how about a 450 motor?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info...If CT builds my engine it will be around 32HP, thats 2HP of the stock 450...NICE

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Yamaha doesnt have a good reason to, Honda has the 250ex, which has been the same for along time. Why would Yamaha replace the best quad in its class?

·
Super Moderator
17,060 Posts
Honda won't do it either, it will cost too much. A true 250 race derived engine won't end up in any manufacturer's 250 class machine because of cost. Case in point, the 250cc four stroke MX and trail bikes from Yamaha and honda are around 7k dollars. Their 230cc trail alternatives are under 4k. Putting one of these engines in an atv chassis will push you almost into 450 quad price ranges, and well past the 300-400cc atv class price ranges.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Why would it be so much more? I was thinking if Honda put in race suspension and their CRF250 motor, it would be about $2,000 more than what the 250ex costs now.

·
Super Moderator
17,060 Posts
Because race engines are expensive. Just putting better shocks on the Raptor 250 to turn it into the Raptor 250R costs an extra 500 dolllars retail. As I mentioned earlier the 250 bikes with the race motor costs over 7k, that's over 3k more than the 230cc trail bikes.

For a moment let's assume your 2k number is legitimate. The 250EX costs 4400 dollars right now, another 2k is 6400. That's the same price range as a Honda 400EX and Suzuki LTZ400 Quadsport. The Yamaha 250R Raptor is already within 500 dollars of the 350 Raptor.

There's a fine line to walk between providing a good entry level quad to younger or new riders and a race ready machine. If you offer only the latter then you alienate the former and make it harder and more expensive for people to get started in the sport with one of your machines.

·
Super Moderator
17,060 Posts
The atv version of such an engine would make less hp, down from the bike's 35hp to closer to 30, which is about what the 400's make. If the 250 class atv was smaller and lighter then that weight difference could put such a machine ahead of the 400's. But remember these 400's already have race-worthy chassis designs, so combined with a similar hp output it would have to be the lack of weight that pushes a 250 class machine ahead.

·
Super Moderator
17,060 Posts
400ex is between 26-28hp depending on what dyno you want to trust on a particular day, the older ltz's are around 30, the newer (06+) are closer to 32.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts