Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm waiting for my parts to be finished I'm working on another small project with the rear suspension.
Some take the linkage shackle and flip it to get the rear end lowered (which is bad if you bottom out the suspension because it binds components up which can break things). Basically I'm taking the same shackle and flipping it, but notching out the problem areas where clearnce is an issue. The Linkage I'm working on is made from scratch and is made from steel that is twice as thick as what was on there before. I'll be super low to the ground, but in turn I get to crank up my preload, sag control,..(or whatever most prefer to call it) to compensate for it being too low. since I had to completely crank my pre-load all the way down to stay low to the ground where I liked it, I would bottom out easily on bigger jumps. Now that I've lowered it I'm able to crank the preload up; which would put me as the same ride height as before with the benefit of not bottoming out,..with actually a hair more travel as well. The leverage ratio was not changed or changed very little!
Its basically what elka sells (their linkage kit) for $250 bucks! I'll take pics and keep ya'all posted on the progress..

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is some pics in the machinig phase, I still haven't cut the holes for the linkage pins. I did get small drill holes started for reference. The linkage seems to fit well inside after market swing-arms with after market shocks, but I don't think this would fit into the restricted space of the stock swing-arm.

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
I've found I'm plenty low enough with a rebuilt oem rear and my extended swingarm. When I ice race I use a durablue adjustable lowering strut and that gets me quite low to the ground, more than I'd ever want on any trail and honestly too low for the sand as well.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I'll see how it works! If not, its still fun experimenting!
Another project I have going on (I talked to first about the idea, he had the same idea as well) is throwing a dual piston caliper on the rear....I'll be starting that soon..

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haven't got that far yet! :crazy: Things are still kind of crazy just getting the bike and motor together, and working on this linkage on the side.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Have you looked on YFZCentral for the caliper conversion yet? I did, and it looks fairly simple, especially if you are considering making your own linkage, the caliper should be a piece of cake. They are simply re-drilling the stock mounting plate from a YFZ to fit the rear caliper bracket. I think they also said you can use either right or left, but right is easier (re-drill only one hole maybe? not sure). FWIW, I'm seriously looking at this. Maybe we could split a pair of front calipers. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good....I like making my own parts anyways.. Its kind of fun! :lol:
I have seen some on ebay that are seperate...

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Hmmm... I wonder if I could do something along these lines for extended stocker.

RT: are your shocks zero preload and it still wasn't low enough? The shocks I'm getting (TCS_ are zero preload and I thought that was to get the ride height low.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes , they are zero,..sag control..ride height..ect
Basically adjusting it so I can get the primary spring compressed quicker so it doesn't bottom out before the end of the shock stroke. It will still be the same ride height in the rear end. Ride height wasn't the issue, that is very good.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I need shocks!!! :'(

I'm trying to sell my ex's wheels and tires on ebay (I bought them last year for $1500) but I can't get anyone to bid on them...

And then she's taking forever getting the rings back to me, which I was also planning to sell for quad parts LOL. :grin_nod:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
have the fashioned made linkage hooked up,..took up the preload about a 1" and it works perfect It really going to make a huge improvement over the smalll bumps at high speed and even better improvemt on the huge jumps! :grin_nod:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess I mis-understood ya...usually your not the one to have the " :3question: "

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I understand now! :thumbsup:
I guess thats another way of looking at it, I'll have to check that out when I have time..havt to see how it'll work out in the rear shock.....

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tested it and it'll be on my rappy when done, weighs slightly more than the stock unit.

not too bad of a weld either, its not as pretty where I couldn't get a grinder to it :lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.