Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I had a bit of a mis hap today. I layed my quad on it's side (after a complete revoloution) :banghead: I tweeked the stem over about 1/2 inch.
Here's the question, are aftermarket stems solid? if so they must be heavy. I got a buddy with a machine shop and was thinking of getting him to build me one out of aluminum round stock (solid) has anyone done this? I know I could cut mine apart and weld in a stronger stem, but I'm just looking at alternatives since I need to rip the thing apart anyhow. Yeah!! whats this +1 on stems? dosn't the handle bars sit high enough already? whats the advantage of a longer stem? Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Man!! never mind, what a dumb idea!! I would be better off to spend my time not rolling my quad!! :banghead: LOL. I got the spare stem outta my other frame, to much work to make aluminum work there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
the +1 is so that you can run a different style handle bars intead of the high raptor curve soo that you can clear the gas tank... and building your own would be a pain... houser makes a nice looking stem if I where to get one !!! :grin_nod: 8)

lance

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
The OEM bottom end of the stems is a PITA to recreate, you're better off getting a hunk of chromoly tube stock and using the OEM ends. It's what I've done (or had done) and after a few rolls she's still straight as an arrow. Went through 4 OEM stems and 2 reinforced OEM stems before I figured that one out.

·
Registered
240 Posts
same here I replaced the stock tube with chromoly and went +2 at the same time, only cost me $20 to do the mod. I went longer due to a desert tank and being 6'5" I also have a 1" spacer on top of that to adapt it to 1 1/8" bars for my fasst flexx bars so all total with ne bars I am + 3" taller than stock. But I also got a desert seat so it's like 4" thick and raised my seat position up, which is perfect for my height and long legs, it makes a quick transition from sitting to standing and feels a lot less cramped.

·
Registered
282 Posts
warwgn said:
same here I replaced the stock tube with chromoly and went +2 at the same time, only cost me $20 to do the mod. I went longer due to a desert tank and being 6'5" I also have a 1" spacer on top of that to adapt it to 1 1/8" bars for my fasst flexx bars so all total with ne bars I am + 3" taller than stock. But I also got a desert seat so it's like 4" thick and raised my seat position up, which is perfect for my height and long legs, it makes a quick transition from sitting to standing and feels a lot less cramped.
where did you get that desert seat from? Iam 6'6" and need that. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts