Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 raptor 660 just started cutting out. starts and runs fine until i let rpm get low and then punch it, it will just sputter and then if I let up and play with throttle it will eventually kick in and take off. no problems idling or if i just keep it wound out. tried cleaning jets and all and still no luck. any suggestions?

·
Registered
34 Posts
i recently had a prob like this right after i put a jet kit in i figured it was loading up on low end so i raised the clip on needle one notch and it worked good for me

·
Registered
34 Posts
well like i said i had just installed jet kit so if you havent changed anything recently then i dont know

·
Registered
164 Posts
It almost has to be in the jets or the needle,or a sticking choke,(maybe floats) because at low throttle, they are controlling fuel flow.At high throttle, the needle is out of the way and the jets are wide open and unobstructed. You may want to do a carb rebuild,and check your gas condition(moisture, dirt,etc.)Also, sounds simple, but make sure youre running 93 octane or above and changing the fuel filter often.The needle could have gotten bent, jets could be worn out, or there could be varnish built up inside on everything. Do you ride often, or does it set for long periods of time?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey willykiller, I have a question for ya. If the PB sensor or the reverse rev was kicking in, would the bike be able to get wound up into the upper rev range?Just curious, cause I couldn't get mine through the "retarded" stage and couldn't get anywhere near full throttle.BTW, you do a great job on here keeping us straight. :confused:

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hey willykiller, I have a question for ya. If the PB sensor or the reverse rev was kicking in, would the bike be able to get wound up into the upper rev range?Just curious, cause I couldn't get mine through the "retarded" stage and couldn't get anywhere near full throttle.BTW, you do a great job on here keeping us straight. :confused:
From experience, with the reverse and pb sensor engaged, it is near impossible to rev the motor, no matter what throttle range you give it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thats what I thought too. Thanks willykiller.

faronaho, sounds like the carb is your issue.If the pb or reverse rev limiter is kicking in, it would be constant and you would be unable to get to the higher rpm range.The only real exception to that would be a every-once-in-a-while type issue like a loose or dirty connection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2003 raptor 660 just started cutting out. starts and runs fine until i let rpm get low and then punch it, it will just sputter and then if I let up and play with throttle it will eventually kick in and take off. no problems idling or if i just keep it wound out. tried cleaning jets and all and still no luck. any suggestions?
Were you ever able to figure out the issue? I'm having the same issue with my brother raptor in trying to get back going. He passed away 8 years ago. Its sat alot. But always ran good. Then one spring when I went to take it out it acted up. Ideal perfect all day long, when you get it revved up maybe like half throttle or so it ran great but taken off it skips and spudders. So I bought a different carb and have a jet kit in it. #25 pilots for a slip on pipe. And it still does the same exact thing low end spudders and skip till you get it wound up a little and it's fine. Can jump on the road and shift through every gear when hammering down with zero hesitation. Just low end take off is the issue. Ideals perfect

1 - 10 of 10 Posts