Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a build with my bike, it'll be 101mm 11:1. Well the last time I took it apart I remembered that one of my thread holes were repaired with a helicoil by the previous owner but I forgot if it was crankcase to cylinder or cylinder to head.

Either way though, I was thinking of just replacing all 8 to be on the safe side and not have any issues. I'm assuming though that I'll need to tap the holes larger in order to remove the helicoil, which would require a larger stud kit.

Basically what would be my best option at this point? I read about Willy using the 3/8 bolts but where can I find ones that are the correct length and strength?

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
leave the Heli-coil in if it is not pulled out

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And just use the regular bolts or still install studs? I took a look at earlier and it seems like it's the hole threaded into the crankcase.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
With 11:1 I would just use the bolts

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
There are 2 holes in the cases that have a insert in them from the factory. Or at least every set I have look at has had them like that. Helicoils are a great fix. I would leave them in. You will mess up more stuff trying to make a different fix for them. They seem to hold the TQ better then the threads that stripped out originally. I would just use the factory bolts. No need for studs. New bolts is the best option for you IMO.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Basically what would be my best option at this point? I read about Willy using the 3/8 bolts but where can I find ones that are the correct length and strength?
I also did the 3/8 bolt trick I got from willy. It works good. Have a 14:1 piston holding up fine and I also used a Tusk top end kit to($25ish:eek:). I did not resurface the head prior to putting it together but the cylinder was prepped real good. Not bad if you ask me. We will see how long it holds. This will be the true test for sure.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Bolts will be fine, but you can used studs. I run studs on my 11:1 build in my sig. That way I know I wont have any problems.

That and when you install the studs your not torquing down a steel bolt in aluminum threads. There is no pressure on the steel / aluminum threads when screwing the stud in. Then when you go to put the torque to it your turning a steel nut on a steel stud.

Studs are better than bolts even if they are not needed for running a lower compession 11:1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.