Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I got a chain tensioner that arrived today from fleebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....2639787&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_839wt_905

Nice components, easy to fit, but.... the spring is uba heavy duty.

My chain is now like a banjo string (about 4mm up and 4mm down travel on the top) and when riding I can here a wiring noise (most likely from the chain being tight)

Anyone used one of these? I presume I don't have to adjust the chain after fitting as surely the nature of a tensioner means its irrelevant how tight the chain is before its fitted?

Puzzled. :eek:

·
LOOK UP IN THE SKY ITS A BIRD, A PLANE, THAT'S THE
547 Posts
i have not used one of theses.but i would like to know how it is when you have used it for a while. but as far as the chain tighting go's .you will have to adjust it from time to time when the chain stretch's even with the unit on it .imo but just make sure you have the prop movement after the install ,but it sounds like you do. hope poeple chim in that use theses or one like it . :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
I can't see how this spring tensioner design will work well. When my chain is at proper tension, and I push up on it, it just about touches the plastic guard under the swingarm. If you put this tensioner on with the chain at proper tension, it's going to constantly push the chain into the swingarm guard, likely causing the noise you are hearing.

If you tighten up the chain so this doesn't happen, well then you are starting with a chain tension that is too tight, not allowing the tensioner to keep proper tension.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I can't see how this spring tensioner design will work well. When my chain is at proper tension, and I push up on it, it just about touches the plastic guard under the swingarm. If you put this tensioner on with the chain at proper tension, it's going to constantly push the chain into the swingarm guard, likely causing the noise you are hearing.

If you tighten up the chain so this doesn't happen, well then you are starting with a chain tension that is too tight, not allowing the tensioner to keep proper tension.
by looking at the pictures you cut the stock swing arm guard. seems like it would work well if your chain was adjusted right to me. but if its too lose it loos like it will just push the chain againsed the swingarm

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi I can confirm it doesn't rub anything once installed, the noise I am hearing is either

The chain against the roller wheel on the tensioner
The chain just being tight on the sprockets

I'll try to post a quick vid of the play on the chain so you guys can see

Thanks for your help so far ;)

Ps on the plus side there's no slop when accelerating hard, it all feels a lot more 'posative'...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts