Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends, I need to lower the sound of my raptor a bit, therefore I thought of a db killer, the problem is that getting the original ones for my exhausts (duals LTE) is almost impossible, so I must make some, what recommendations or advice do I need? darian? I don't want to damage my engine

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
You won't damage the engine.
You basically just need a piece of pipe that will fit into the end of the mufflers.
If you have end caps on the mufflers it's easy, if not, it'll be a challenge.
You can make or buy something like in the picture if your mufflers have removable end caps.
And, if you make/buy it with pipe on both sides of the flange, it will be even quieter.
If you have perferated pipe, it will be louder too.
The flange is what sandwiches between the muffler and end-cap.
I've used them on several machines, and they really work, and the kind
Screenshot_20210112-180052_Gallery.jpg
with the pipe on both sides of the flange are the quietest.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Thanks and the diameter of the new tube can be much smaller or should it be similar to the original?
Roughly 3/4 of the I.D of the muffler pipe.
The smaller you choke the exhaust down, the quieter it will be, but the more heat will build up.
The length and diameter of the inserts will slightly change the powercurve, and likely only noticeble at certain rpm's, not a big deal, but you can really knock the noise down, especially if there's a cruising rpm that drones.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the key is a long tube blocked at the end but full of holes

Enviado desde mi SM-N9600 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
So the key is a long tube blocked at the end but full of holes

Enviado desde mi SM-N9600 mediante Tapatalk
No, just a straight through tube that fits into the muffler tube itself, with an air gap between them. You Cannot block either end or inside the tube/pipe/insert/decibel killer, etc.
The flange is there to hold the tube/insert in place, and block the small gap between the 2 tubes(muffler and insert)
If there is a tube after the flange only, exiting the exhaust tip, it makes it quieter, if the tube also extends on the back side of the flange, into the muffler itself, then it is even more quiet.
If you drill cross holes through the inner tube, the side extending into the muffler, you will make it slightly louder.
How far the tube extends into or out of the muffler will also effect the volume and tone.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I understand, is that I saw some like this
Yeah, you can get away with that style of "closed" end on some machines, but for larger displacement and high revving, they are not ideal.
Akropovic is my favorite exhaust and they make excellent parts.
Their quiet inserts for sportbikes are the straight through style with a center flange, like I described above.
I had them in a Hayabusa and a gsxr1k.
A very deep tone with them out, but an almost stock sound with them in.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Here is what the factory insert looks like for the 700, just remove the cap on the end of the muffler and there it is.
It may(or may not) fit your LTE muffler(s), but is basically what you need.
If you have a stock muffler with one in it, you could try it.
The LTE's just have 3 allen heads or rivots that hold their end cap on, correct?
The hole spacing may be the same, or there may be enough room to drill new hole(s).
Screenshot_20210113-121331_Chrome.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts