Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode 4 or 5 times last week, the last being Thursday night. Today when I go out to start up my rappy the battery dies before she can catch. It only turned over twice maybe. I had to put a charger on it and it fired up immediately.
So 15 minutes later I'm out in my field and run into my neighbor on his quad. We're standing there shooting the shit while I leave my Raptor running and out of the blue it stalls. It fired right back up and ran fine after that. :wtf:
Why today? Moderate temps compared to a month ago, dry out, ran fine a few days ago.....
Weird :confused:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Check the connection on your programmer to the battery. Mine were slightly loose and it kept stalling , sputtering and dieing due to vibration.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, I wonder if a loose connection would cause a battery draw, too.... maybe.
Thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Duh :crazy: There isn't a connection from the programmer to the battery!

I went to fire her up today and dead again, so I checked the pos terminal and only saw two extra wires, one for my alarm (that I wasn't using) and one for the Vapor. I honestly couldn't remember if there was power running to the Dobeck or not, but it is grounded. I remembered that anyway. It must draw its power from interupting the fuel injection wiring. Anyway, everything was tight, so I'm thinking that the cold weather coupled with maybe the Vapor's wheel sensor being aligned may have caused the battery to go dead the first time. I had the Vapor thing happen before without the battery going dead, but that was in the summer. And I don't know that the sensor and the magnet were aligned, but that's what I'm guessing.

So I called the dealer to doublecheck that using my 25 year old 10 amp trickle charger would be OK. The owner's manual said you needed a "special charger". They said that would be fine and told me that just running the quad after a dead battery isn't enough to charge it back up. No alternator. So I'm hoping that's why it was dead this second time.... because all I did was run it for an hour or so after I got it started last Sunday. I'll leave the trickle charger on it overnight and see if it holds a charge.

The bad thing is: Now when I come home from a putt, I'll have to make sure the Vapor shuts off before I go in the house. That sensor and magnetic bolt aren't always easy to see, especially when there's crap and snow packed around the wheel and it's dark.
TrailTech should have made these things to only draw power when the key is turned on. I may have to put a switch in the Vapor's power wire to turn it off and let it draw from its own internal battery in case the sensors are lined up with each other.

·
Registered
517 Posts
for some reason I thought you had a PCIII
:chair:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hallz said:
for some reason I thought you had a PCIII
:chair:
Hey, it happens ;)

So in the meantime I called TrailTech about something else and was told that my Vapor may be malfunctioning ::) You gotta be freakin kidding me :mad: After all that crap with the tach problem.... they're telling me that the computer should still shut off if the sensor is aligned, but I know for a fact it didn't over summer as I'd walk by it several times a day and look at it. They said something like, "Oh, you have one of the older units". Whatever the F that means.... I just got it last July or August, so yeah, it real old :confused: They said something about sending it in, but we'll see. First I need to determine if that's what's causing my battery to go dead.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I said: :)
"First I need to determine if that's what's causing my battery to go dead."

It is. The battery was up to 85% this morning so I unplugged the trickle charger. It was down to 20% by noon and I noticed that the Vapor's backlight wasn't lit, but the display was on.
They're sending me a new unit. :lol:

·
Registered
63 Posts
the vapor is a nice comp to have. i got one and i love it, juss have to make sure all connections are fastened tightly

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The way the service guy explained it to me, they have a system that can maintain the battery, but not charge a dead one by letting the quad run.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well here's my update. Bad battery. It was dead again this morning.
My buddy lent me his tester that tells if a battery is any good or not and mine isn't. I called the dealer and they said that they've heard of a couple bad batteries and it should be covered under warranty. Price of the exact replacement is $78 and a heavier duty one is $57 (weird), but the guy wasn't in that handles their warranty work, so I couldn't go out and pick one up today.
Then he comes back and says I need to bring the whole quad in, not just the battery, so they can test it. Shit, my trailer is put away for the winter (more or less). Not where I want to drive out back and hook up to it anyway.
I'm hoping their warranty guy will cut me a break and just let me bring the bad battery in.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Well, that is good news, I hope :)
My dealer told me when I picked up my Raptor, that it had a magneto to charge the battery :3question:
I know nothing about this beast but I am learning fast :help: ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts