·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most people think there's a huge amount of markup on new units in the powersports industry, you'd be surprised. It's not like buying a car

·
Registered
307 Posts
Wow.... Thats hi I think they pay less....
I agree, I have searched/watched on ebay for several years and there is always some dealers that have new models previous and current year for under those prices including setup/prep, etc. I know they are not selling without making some profit, so I usually use their price to gauge what invoice is close to. Shipping is what can add to it if they are not in the same or neighboring state.

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
I agree, I have searched/watched on ebay for several years and there is always some dealers that have new models previous and current year for under those prices including setup/prep, etc. I know they are not selling without making some profit, so I usually use their price to gauge what invoice is close to. Shipping is what can add to it if they are not in the same or neighboring state.
:beer: The dealer where I go is a huge dealer and the owner and I are tight. He said he paid 2,200 for an 08 raptor 250 SE in 2010....
Sooooo...

·
Registered
214 Posts
i think those are bs.

In 2008 I bought my new 08raptor for 5400. (friends and family discount) I was told they made 150 bux. 100 for the dealer and 50 for the sales man

i'm sure they made more then that

·
Registered
56 Posts
i got my 2011 700 se for less than what they have listed as invoice!

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Realize that also just like cars, the invoice price isn't necessarily what the dealer paid for the machine. There are incentives and other means to lower the dealership's cost, but these are not a given. The markup isn't as high as some would expect but there are a LOT of factors that go into the final cost of an ATV sitting on the showroom floor and someone has to pay for the showroom too :thumbsup:

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
If the dealer didnt make any money or make a living at this, then why would he even want to sell atvs...........:)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can tell you all from personal experience These prices are not far off. I worked as a salesman in the power sports industry for about 10 years.

Sure there's always great deals out there, but the profit margins are smaller than you think.

There are a lot of factors that determine the price of a new unit. How long the unit has been sitting on "floor plan", How far or close the sales department is to meeting there monthly goals, Regional stock, supply and demand, even the weather can play a roll in how much you pay.

The dealer does not make money on every single deal, It's all a numbers game.

I can tell you though that the freight and setup charges are added BS just to fluff the bottom line. If retail on a unit is $7999 and they discount it $600, then add $300 freight and $300 setup when your writing up the deal. it just a trick to make you feel like your getting a deal, when your really still paying full retail. Don't ever pay those extra charges and if they say you have to, go somewhere else.

·
Registered
307 Posts
...I can tell you though that the freight and setup charges are added BS just to fluff the bottom line. If retail on a unit is $7999 and they discount it $600, then add $300 freight and $300 setup when your writing up the deal. it just a trick to make you feel like your getting a deal, when your really still paying full retail. Don't ever pay those extra charges and if they say you have to, go somewhere else.
I agree, those are bull malarkey, problem is, so many dealers charge for them, so going somewhere else may not be an option or any help.
About all you can do is work on the total price out the door or the base machine cost, however you want to look at it.
The key is just to do some price research by phone and internet to get a good idea on the best deal you can get. Sometimes I have seen the exact same Quad go for $500-1000 less in OK than here in DFW area and that would be worth the drive to go get it. I also know that you can always make an offer to the local dealer and they may just take it. You don't have to pay what they are asking, Just some days they will take less than other days.

The best deals are either left over models or just go buy one that is 2-4 years old, used in good shape. That's what I did.

·
Registered
892 Posts
When I was shopping around, I found one dealer that was willing to drop the setup/crate fee when I told him the competition doesn't charge one.

The wife was wanting an '09 SE and my local dealership, Powersports Northwest, wanted $2K more out the door than Florence Yamaha.:wow:

The crate fee comes from the old days when you could buy a bike in the crate and put the fenders, wheels, handlebars, maybe forks on yourself and save a little. If you payed the "crate fee", the dealership would put it together for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.