Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after running stock, then with the full GYTR exhaust, and now the full Yosh Ti system, I have decided to take this to the dyno yet again only to have it tuned with some new items.

The following will be done on Raptor #1. Raptor #2 will remain as is with the GYTR system on it and the ECU set by the dealer.

This round to #1 will see me using the new DMC duals, Pro Design intake setup, Pro Tec lid, and the PCIII.
All tuning will be done on the Dynojet Model 250 using the Dynojet realtime Air/Fuel Ratio module.
It will happen sometime late Jan. if the shop can fit me in then.
The shop is Fast by Ferracci. Well know for their World and AMA Superbike exploits.

All info will be published here, with permission from Ferracci ofcourse.

This is not meant to start another debate over XXX vs ZZZ exhaust systems, only to show some real world info.

One stipulation though, this is all dependant on myself not selling both quads and getting a new Ducati. ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I recall someone on this forum saying the Pro-Tec lid took away 2 hp? Will both quads use that lid for the dyno run?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
raptorsquid said:
I recall someone on this forum saying the Pro-Tec lid took away 2 hp? Will both quads use that lid for the dyno run?
I am only going to dyno #1 at that time, and it will have the lid on it.

As far as losing and hp, well that I can't comment on. Maybe someone did, but when comparing it to using no lid and the seat off while doing the dyno test? I just don't see it losing anything with that lid vs stock airbox lid. Not like it is some open class street bike with ram air and factory box tuned for it.

I was at Ferracci's holiday party last week and discussed many things with them about this. One thing is it will be tuned as it will be ridden. Same tires, same air pressure, same way it will be ridden. I don't care about peak numbers, only a safe tune with the most area under the curve.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
NJRaptor said:
raptorsquid said:

As far as losing and hp, well that I can't comment on. Maybe someone did, but when comparing it to using no lid and the seat off while doing the dyno test? I just don't see it losing anything with that lid vs stock airbox lid. Not like it is some open class street bike with ram air and factory box tuned for it.

I was at Ferracci's holiday party last week and discussed many things with them about this. One thing is it will be tuned as it will be ridden. Same tires, same air pressure, same way it will be ridden. I don't care about peak numbers, only a safe tune with the most area under the curve.

To me it would be pretty stupid to dyno with the seat off, anyone who does that is just trying to get a bragging rights sheet.

There is a good reason for dynoing with dyno tires though, the knobbies slip in the rollers and you do not get the correct load to do an accurate tune and correct A/F readings due to slippage, that and your leaving power and TQ on the table as well as it is inconsistent as hell. It's hard enough to get the quad secured and get no slippage with a set of flat track/dyno tires, to do it with knobbies is just not worth the waste of time and money IMHO.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RaptorRandy27 said:
NJRaptor said:
raptorsquid said:

To me it would be pretty stupid to dyno with the seat off, anyone who does that is just trying to get a bragging rights sheet.

There is a good reason for dynoing with dyno tires though, the knobbies slip in the rollers and you do not get the correct load to do an accurate tune and correct A/F readings due to slippage, that and your leaving power and TQ on the table as well as it is inconsistent as hell. It's hard enough to get the quad secured and get no slippage with a set of flat track/dyno tires, to do it with knobbies is just not worth the waste of time and money IMHO.
Yes, running a test with the seat off is really stupid. But It has been done, some people only want "big numbers". They can have them too.

Now about running knobbies? I am not telling these guys what to do. They run the test, the strap down the machine, and they are responsible for it all. They know how to strap a machine down tight enough to prevent slip. It's not hard really, so I am not worried about it. If anything I will slip the tires inside of the rims before I slip them on the rollers.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
RaptorRandy27 said:
NJRaptor said:
raptorsquid said:

I've read the same thing in different places regarding knobbies not hooking up well on the dyno's rollers and giving poor readings..What would be the best tire to use, like flat a track tire or something ?? :3question: :3question:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
NJRaptor said:
Well after running stock, then with the full GYTR exhaust, and now the full Yosh Ti system, I have decided to take this to the dyno yet again only to have it tuned with some new items.

The following will be done on Raptor #1. Raptor #2 will remain as is with the GYTR system on it and the ECU set by the dealer.

This round to #1 will see me using the new DMC duals, Pro Design intake setup, Pro Tec lid, and the PCIII.
All tuning will be done on the Dynojet Model 250 using the Dynojet realtime Air/Fuel Ratio module.
The shop is Fast by Ferracci. Well know for their World and AMA Superbike exploits.

This is not meant to start another debate over XXX vs ZZZ exhaust systems, only to show some real world info.

One stipulation though, this is all dependant on myself not selling both quads and getting a new Ducati. ;)
I remember Ferracci building some really fast Duck's back in the day, they have an outstanding rep in the street bike world....Good luck with your tests.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
340 Posts
NJRaptor said:

I'm not far from Ferraci, can you let me know when you're going to do this? I'd like to witness! Also, I've been toying with the thought of a 749r anyway...

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
Mine done fine on the dyno with the knobbies, didnt slip just had vibration through the rollers which you can see some of that in the graph of my pulls(you will feel the same thing at high speed on pavement just a tad bit worse since you are strapped down tight). It is not as accurate because of that and you are leaving power on the table but I felt(and still do) that its good enough for getting an idea of how things are as in power delivery and A/F ratio. I also was asked if I wanted to make a pull with the seat off and like the "dyno tires" question I responded that I dont ride around like that lol. I did however did not have the fan on in front of my Raptor to keep the air moving accross my quad and the dyno owner said I left about another 1/2 hp or better on the table. I did all of my pulls as "real" as possible so that if I ever get called on my #s I could easily back them up. I know of a few "dyno queens" that have posted #s on the net that not only have slicks on and a fan runnin in front of the quad but also had a fan blowing toward the filter ::)....now how accurate is that :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
I've read the same thing in different places regarding knobbies not hooking up well on the dyno's rollers and giving poor readings..What would be the best tire to use, like flat a track tire or something ?? :3question: :3question:

Big Mike, flat track tires are what I reccomend, The places that specalize in quads usually have a set or two mounted on wheels in popular patterns. If not you can pick up a set of wore out smooth tires fairly cheap to mount on a set of cheap wheels. Tha'ts what I did so I would have my own.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
frankhkp7 said:
NJRaptor said:

I'm not far from Ferraci, can you let me know when you're going to do this? I'd like to witness! Also, I've been toying with the thought of a 749r anyway...
No problem, I will let you know.

Did you go the the holiday party last Saturday? Good time, great bikes, great food, and a few honeys to boot!

·
Registered
340 Posts
NJRaptor said:
frankhkp7 said:
NJRaptor said:

No problem, I will let you know.

Did you go the the holiday party last Saturday? Good time, great bikes, great food, and a few honeys to boot!
Thanks man! I was at the East Coast ATV party last Saturday. That killed my whole day!

Frank

·
Registered
177 Posts
raptorsquid said:
I should clarify my statement: the guy reported that the Pro-Tec took away 2hp compared to lid off. Again, this is second-hand info but I thought it might be helpful in getting an accurate comparison between the two quads if the other one was dynoed with the lid off (assuming it's an accurate statement...). 'Course, if you'll be riding the quad with the Pro-Tec lid, and there is a difference, that's all the more reason to dyno with the Pro-Tec lid in place.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Hey NJ raptor where are you located? I live in NJ as well and am looking for good people and places to ride. I plan on taking my bike to fast by ferraci as well for a dyno in feb. or march when I have everything on the bike.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
RaptorRandy27 said:

Big Mike, flat track tires are what I reccomend, The places that specalize in quads usually have a set or two mounted on wheels in popular patterns. If not you can pick up a set of wore out smooth tires fairly cheap to mount on a set of cheap wheels. Tha'ts what I did so I would have my own.
Ok, thanks.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DrDsRaptor said:
Hey NJ raptor where are you located? I live in NJ as well and am looking for good people and places to ride. I plan on taking my bike to fast by ferraci as well for a dyno in feb. or march when I have everything on the bike.
I am west central, Flemington area.

I don't ride in the state, infact my quads are not even kept here. They are in the Poconos at my brothers. With that being said, sorry but I have no idea where to ride in this state. Once in a blue moon I ride mine at my gf's horse farm, but that is about it. Otherwise I am riding on about 900 acres of land and in all sorts of conditions.

Just have to love being able to ride in my bros neighborhood. Private community and it is allowed on the streets. I am inside the gates, and the cops are not. :thumbsup:

You won't go wrong with Ferracci. Anyone who knows bikes knows the skills that are in that shop.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
NJRaptor said:
RaptorRandy27 said:
NJRaptor said:
raptorsquid said:

Yes, running a test with the seat off is really stupid. But It has been done, some people only want "big numbers". They can have them too.

Now about running knobbies? I am not telling these guys what to do. They run the test, the strap down the machine, and they are responsible for it all. They know how to strap a machine down tight enough to prevent slip. It's not hard really, so I am not worried about it. If anything I will slip the tires inside of the rims before I slip them on the rollers.
These guys are good at dynoing street bikes that do not have knobbies, so they are not going to think of the slicks/knobbies issue on a quad. They run the test alright, but its your money, and your machine. Whats the point of dyno tuning if you are not doing it right. Mine as well just do a seat of your pants up and down the driveway. Dyno tuning is so you get precise numbers and get a precise a/f ratio.
Run slicks, lid off with the seat on and you will get the best numbers AND tune. Its your time and money.....and also your tune on your quad. Just trying to help, and also open the eyes to others that are doing this or that are going to be taking your numbers as gospel.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You see here is the thing,

I have been speaking to them as well as others about this, seems that all the "big guys" agree. If the tires do not slip, a little vibration will not mess up any readings. Vibration does not affect the way my quad runs down the street, so why would it change how it is rotating the rollers? Something to think about there. :3question:

Some people have a problem with slipping. It will be taken care of, no slipping. Some people worry about vibration, a little will be nothing to worry about. Wish I video taped my old drag car with slicks on the dyno. Now there was some vibration as they wrinkled and came up on the tire. :crazy:

Seat will be on, lid I will run will also be on, it will be just as I will ride it.

I was told by before by some to go out and buy the parts and test them myself. I am doing just that. I may ask for info, advice, etc, but I am also willing to help. One thing is, I do not take anything I read on the net for gospel. No one should for that matter.

If time permits, and Ferracci is willing and able, we will dyno with my knobbies and also slicks. Lets see what the wideband and dyno reading have to say. Will they change? Who knows.

Keep the topic going, I will post all the info I get. That is unless this turns into a pissing contest. If that should happen, I will just keep my final results to myself.

One last thing, sorry about my writing. I am having some health issues and on meds. Pain and being all doped up is not really fun right now.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
One last thing, sorry about my writing. I am having some health issues and on meds. Pain and being all doped up is not really fun right now.
Hope all is well for you, I can identify with health issues and being in pain. Hope you get squared away quickly.

The biggest reason for running slicks on a dyno with a quad is that they are not nearly as heavy as a car and the vibration leads to an erratic graph .Look at the graphs on page 15 and 16 of this thread and you can clearly see how much smoother the graph is on my buddies 700R with slicks on the dyno http://www.raptorforum.com/index.php?topic=8187.225 You can do it with knobbies, that's your perogative, I just think as Boom said if your going to the time and trouble and spend the money why not get the best state of tune you can? Anyway you decide to go good luck to you.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I agree 100%. Your quad will be better tuned with street tires and that grapg is a perfect ;) author=RaptorRandy27 link=topic=8484.msg85012#msg85012 date=1167508348]
Hope all is well for you, I can identify with health issues and being in pain. Hope you get squared away quickly.

The biggest reason for running slicks on a dyno with a quad is that they are not nearly as heavy as a car and the vibration leads to an erratic graph .Look at the graphs on page 15 and 16 of this thread and you can clearly see how much smoother the graph is on my buddies 700R with slicks on the dyno http://www.raptorforum.com/index.php?topic=8187.225 You can do it with knobbies, that's your perogative, I just think as Boom said if your going to the time and trouble and spend the money why not get the best state of tune you can? Anyway you decide to go good luck to you.
[/quote]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts