Raptor Forum banner

Decide to dyno tune

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  NJRaptor 
NJRaptor said:
raptorsquid said:
I recall someone on this forum saying the Pro-Tec lid took away 2 hp? Will both quads use that lid for the dyno run?
I am only going to dyno #1 at that time, and it will have the lid on it.

As far as losing and hp, well that I can't comment on. Maybe someone did, but when comparing it to using no lid and the seat off while doing the dyno test? I just don't see it losing anything with that lid vs stock airbox lid. Not like it is some open class street bike with ram air and factory box tuned for it.

I was at Ferracci's holiday party last week and discussed many things with them about this. One thing is it will be tuned as it will be ridden. Same tires, same air pressure, same way it will be ridden. I don't care about peak numbers, only a safe tune with the most area under the curve.

To me it would be pretty stupid to dyno with the seat off, anyone who does that is just trying to get a bragging rights sheet.

There is a good reason for dynoing with dyno tires though, the knobbies slip in the rollers and you do not get the correct load to do an accurate tune and correct A/F readings due to slippage, that and your leaving power and TQ on the table as well as it is inconsistent as hell. It's hard enough to get the quad secured and get no slippage with a set of flat track/dyno tires, to do it with knobbies is just not worth the waste of time and money IMHO.

I've read the same thing in different places regarding knobbies not hooking up well on the dyno's rollers and giving poor readings..What would be the best tire to use, like flat a track tire or something ?? :3question: :3question:

Big Mike, flat track tires are what I reccomend, The places that specalize in quads usually have a set or two mounted on wheels in popular patterns. If not you can pick up a set of wore out smooth tires fairly cheap to mount on a set of cheap wheels. Tha'ts what I did so I would have my own.

One last thing, sorry about my writing. I am having some health issues and on meds. Pain and being all doped up is not really fun right now.
Hope all is well for you, I can identify with health issues and being in pain. Hope you get squared away quickly.

The biggest reason for running slicks on a dyno with a quad is that they are not nearly as heavy as a car and the vibration leads to an erratic graph .Look at the graphs on page 15 and 16 of this thread and you can clearly see how much smoother the graph is on my buddies 700R with slicks on the dyno http://www.raptorforum.com/index.php?topic=8187.225 You can do it with knobbies, that's your perogative, I just think as Boom said if your going to the time and trouble and spend the money why not get the best state of tune you can? Anyway you decide to go good luck to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.