Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never ridden anyplace that has a db regulation and was wondering who has and how do they go about checking.I have a spl meter and want to know where they place the meter and what rpm.I checked my Dr D at idle from about 6 ft from rear and also from seat position and it registered 93db,when I blipped the throttle (about 1/2)it hit about 107db,and I was holding it from the seat pos.I think it sounds great :thumbsup:,but some people might define it as loud what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I think it's great that you care enough to ask and hope others know the answer to your question so I can find out too.
Perhaps the biggest complaint about quads (outside of what they do to terrain) is the noise they generate.
Thanks for keeping it possible for us all to ride.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have been checked before. My bike idles at 101db with the Trinity exhaust. The ranger and I estimated 3500rpm, and it shot up to 107db.

The ranger stood behind the exhaust with the db meter and took her readings. I had a great view down her shirt as she was bending over haha! I didnt get cited, just a warning.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
yeah you got a site didn't you, :grin_nod: :grin_nod: :grin_nod: :grin_nod: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read the article from the link that was provided by sea7raptor and they hold the spl meter 20" away from your exaust... that seems a little ridiculas, you would think mabe 6ft. At 20" they must write alot more citations.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
2' or less is standard. Regulations here in Michigan are 96db for essentially every area, but 98db is considered passing. If you're over 100 through the trails you might have some problems, but 102db is often allowed in remote areas like hill climbs. These measurements are typically spec'd to be taken at 2500-3500 rpm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts