Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking to enter some desert races in my stock 250, only thing I've changed about it is skidplates. I know I won't be very competitive with a stock 250 but I'm just looking to do it for fun and then upgrade as I feel necessary. Does anybody know of any desert races near socal or in arizona? I've raced tracks before but I want to get into distance desert races now. Also is there anybody else on here who is running desert races on their 250?

Thanks,
Tyler

·
Registered
252 Posts
You'd be suprised at how competitive you can be with a stock Raptor 250. It's all about the rider's skill level. I ran a 25 mile loop during the Poker Run which is a practice for the Tarantula 100 in the deserts of NM. There was everything from a Banshee, Polaris 500, YFZ450, TRX450, KTM450, LTR450, Kawasaki 400 to a Raptor 250.

Here is my video on a Raptor 250 in Alamogordo, I think there were 5 quads and none of them ever passed me

Here is another guy on a Raptor 250 in Las Cruces

Here is another video out here

The guy on the Raptor 250 was able to compete with the big boys and had an overall 4th place out of 7 quads. I compared my times against these guys and I was very close to the 450s, and I was 10 minutes faster than the other Raptor 250.

·
Registered
252 Posts
thats exactly what I was hoping to hear :D What kind of modifications do you have made to your 250 that you raced?
At the time I had GYT-R filter, pipe, muffler and GYT-R jet kit. I was also running 8" DWT wheels and 18" ITP tires on the back. I also had a 37T rear sprocket. I did remove the head and tail lights, and parking brake for some weight savings. I am 5' 9" and 165lbs, this is how I had my suspension set-up:

fronts = 75% stiff (4th step)
rear = 75% spring collar 3/4 the way up on the threads

If I had it to do all over again I would have just removed the stock filter screen, air box lid, and resonator from the stock exhaust then tuned the carb. This way I could have spent my money more wisely on a pair of Elka front shocks and a cheap StreamLine stick type steering stabilizer.

If you have the money get an aftermarket exhaust, keep the stock filter and remove the screen and air box lid, get a jet-kit, get better rear tires, get a steering stabilizer, tune your stock suspension, and do some weight reduction.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could be a dumb question, but is there a screen inside the pipe that you're talking about that needs to be removed? And I'm assuming the airbox lid is the cover with those 4 clips covering the air filter. Does that help by providing more airflow?

·
Registered
608 Posts
At the time I had GYT-R filter, pipe, muffler and GYT-R jet kit. I was also running 8" DWT wheels and 18" ITP tires on the back. I also had a 37T rear sprocket. I did remove the head and tail lights, and parking brake for some weight savings. I am 5' 9" and 165lbs, this is how I had my suspension set-up:

fronts = 75% stiff (4th step)
rear = 75% spring collar 3/4 the way up on the threads

If I had it to do all over again I would have just removed the stock filter screen, air box lid, and resonator from the stock exhaust then tuned the carb. This way I could have spent my money more wisely on a pair of Elka front shocks and a cheap StreamLine stick type steering stabilizer.

If you have the money get an aftermarket exhaust, keep the stock filter and remove the screen and air box lid, get a jet-kit, get better rear tires, get a steering stabilizer, tune your stock suspension, and do some weight reduction.
nice video !!!!! was waiting for a old chevvey truck full of mexicans or a coyote to jup out in front of you!!!! bwaaaahahahaha!!!!
that sand got to be hell on a arm bushings?
i think that bored out stock carb i do would work well in that type race . very fast and open! let her breath!!!
only 7 quads in that race????:confused: must not be a very popular stort in nm.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yeah, not alot of quad racers out here, alot of dirtbike racers though. It's a shame, there are alot of quad riders, they just don't race.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Could be a dumb question, but is there a screen inside the pipe that you're talking about that needs to be removed? And I'm assuming the airbox lid is the cover with those 4 clips covering the air filter. Does that help by providing more airflow?
I really didn't pay too much attention to my stock exhaust. I assume there is a resonator (cork/plug) to reduce decibel level, and a screen type spark arrestor. If so just pull out the resonator, leave the screen in to pass tech inspection. Keep in mind some orgs check for a spark arrestor stamp and screen, some just check for a screen, some don't check at all. Sometimes they will do a decibel level check, sometimes they don't, so you may have to keep the resonator in as well. You need to check the rules and see what they require. The air box lid is the plastic cover on the air box that allows access to the filter. It will allow more air in the intake and out the exhaust due to less restriction. It is not as good as having a less restrictive filter and exhaust, but it will save you some money in parts and re-jetting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.