Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 660. I recently put on a dg exhaust and I need to rejet it. The paper that was sent with it says I need a 150/155 main jet but the 2 carbs is throwing me off. Do I need a 150 jet for the low idle car and a 155 jet for the high idle carb ?

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
They are simply left and right carbs... they serve the same function except that the head's left intake port is a bit smaller so carb jetting is adjusted accordingly.

The only reason there are two carbs is to reduce the height of the engine... one large carb would have forced the already top-heavy quad to be even taller. Two smaller carbs spread the intake horizontally instead of symmetrically.

The left carb, the one that has the throttle and choke cables attached, (on the 'driver side' if you were in a US car) takes the slightly smaller jet.

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: EastGillyRaptor

·
Registered
35 Posts
They are simply left and right carbs... they serve the same function except that the head's left intake port is a bit smaller so carb jetting is adjusted accordingly.

The only reason there are two carbs is to reduce the height of the engine... one large carb would have forced the already top-heavy quad to be even taller. Two smaller carbs spread the intake horizontally instead of symmetrically.

The left carb, the one that has the throttle and choke cables attached, (on the 'driver side' if you were in a US car) takes the slightly smaller jet.

Welcome to the forum!
Knowledge level 1000

By just creeping posts and reading what you, 4Stroker, and DEZ post I literally have twice as much knowledge about these things. LOL

Thanks for all the hard work you put in learning the ins and outs of these machines!

Reactions: morphrider

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,434 Posts

Welcome to the forum!
Knowledge level 1000

By just creeping posts and reading what you, 4Stroker, and DEZ post I literally have twice as much knowledge about these things. LOL

Thanks for all the hard work you put in learning the ins and outs of these machines!
I was gonna post but wasn't sure which carb was which. What I know about the 660 I learned from the Maniac and previous members. Lots of 2 and 4 stroke motor repair is generic that I know, but each have their own individual problems. Now, ask me about Raptor 700 or Honda 250R, including 310R big bore.

·
11,434 Posts
Knowledge level 1000

At 72 I'm still learning and wouldn't have it any other way!

Reactions: morphrider

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
Dez, I'm 63 and may just be asking you 700 questions one of these days... I'm thinking about looking for one.

What part of the Pacific NW are you in, anyway?

·
11,434 Posts
Dez, I'm 63 and may just be asking you 700 questions one of these days... I'm thinking about looking for one.

What part of the Pacific NW are you in, anyway?
Tacoma, about 30 miles South of Seattle Washington. I've sold both our 700's and bought a SxS and have been trying to retire from this site, but it seams to be a habit hard to give up. Maybe after I get that 660 rebuilt in the UK. Feel free to chime in there with your knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
8,219 Posts
No retirement from this site for you Dez, you have too much wealth, knowledge and all around funny stuff to provide us!

·
11,434 Posts
No retirement from this site for you Dez, you have too much wealth, knowledge and all around funny stuff to provide us!
What, you mean I have to die here. I seem to die a little each time I hear;

My motor won't start, what could be the problem?

I need a map.

If I hold the start switch for 5 minutes, the relay is clicking but won't crank.

My tire is only flat on the bottom. If I put air in how do I know it wont go somewhere else?

My battery reads 12 volts so I know it's good!

I cleaned my carbs 2 years ago so I know they are clean.

My 5 year old chain is good, I'll just change the sprockets.

I bought NEW carbs from China for my 660. Isn't that close to Japan where the originals were made?

I don't need a manual, I'll just ask on the forum.

What color quad should I get?

I'll join the forum, ask a question and never log in again after everyone has answered.

And, what about that wealth, send some to my paypal, LOL, HaHa!

·
Super Moderator
8,219 Posts
How about what kind of oil to use?

Rotella!!

·
11,434 Posts
How about what kind of oil to use?

Rotella!!
Or, "When I check the oil it overflows"!

I'm not complaining about this, but 3 guys want me to send parts to a different address so their wife's don't see packages.

Or the guys who ask for prices on 6 or 8 items in their cart for a 'package' deal, then want individual prices and wonder why the total is more, or, I never hear from them again. PS: not the 3 guys above.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
If I hold the start switch for 5 minutes, the relay is clicking but won't crank.
Lmao! This one is my favorite

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: DEZPERADO
1 - 12 of 12 Posts