Raptor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put the 6+ wide bracket kit on my 06 rappy, I didnt have the 1700 dollars that it took to put the big dogg 2+kit that eveyone seems to run on their rappy. I am very impressed with the kit, and with the wide hubs at the rear, the whole thing came to 260$ using all my stock parts, I've attatched some pics, they arent of my quad, it is not done yet, but I was wondering if anyone else has partaken in this kind of kit?

+6 in the front
+2 in the rear

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Please install these brackets, I would like your feedback, i've also looked and want these but i'm not convinced they will work right AND be reliably strong. I am atracted to the price though !! Thanks for being some of the first to try them.
Grant :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I thought bringing the pivot points out that far is a bad thing? I know its not doing you any favors for suspension action and travel.

If you want to do it right, you cant beat buying new A-arms! Houser a-arms are very affordable. How much was this kit?

·
Registered
517 Posts
135boom said:
If you want to do it right, you cant beat buying new A-arms! Houser a-arms are very affordable. How much was this kit?
They are only like $250!

·
Registered
584 Posts
How thick is the metal that the brackets are made of?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Blownhotrodder said:
How thick is the metal that the brackets are made of?
yeah....how heavy?

·
Registered
178 Posts
135boom said:
I thought bringing the pivot points out that far is a bad thing? I know its not doing you any favors for suspension action and travel.
Looks like suspension action/travel remains the same.

Why would moving the pivot points +2-3 inches matter?

Advantage I see is the wider stance, either by 4.5" or 6". No suspension advantage or disadvantage as far as I can tell. Looks like it might be a budget-worthy mod for recreational trail use.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I believe the closer together the control arms are the better... So by bringing them out, this would be a bad thing. I, too, wouldnt even consider this kit. Get new control arms instead. If you cant afford it, then save till you can.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
i don't see any disadvantages to this, you keep the same susp travel, just a wider stance, better than wheel adapters by far, you are not changing any of the factory geometry in the front end just the width...definately should be alot more stable.... :grin_nod:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Below is my 2006 YFZ 450 with the Diamong J plus 6 set up. For sand riding this set up is fine but not for big air jumping. They are plenty strong but your bump steer changes a few degrees when your suspension is fully compressed. In the sand you do not notice because your tires give in the sand but on hard pack dirt you will notice.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
superchargemyride said:
Below is my 2006 YFZ 450 with the Diamong J plus 6 set up. For sand riding this set up is fine but not for big air jumping. They are plenty strong but your bump steer changes a few degrees when your suspension is fully compressed. In the sand you do not notice because your tires give in the sand but on hard pack dirt you will notice.
Have you tried adjusting your camber angle to a nuetral or slightly positive angle? You 450 looks like it might be set-up a little too far negative. Have you tried bringing the lower A-arms in to the "inner" mounting hole on those Diamond J brackets? Just a thought.

·
Registered
270 Posts
BJH, I have no clue how to set up suspension. I wish I did.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
superchargemyride said:
BJH, I have no clue how to set up suspension. I wish I did.
Try bringing both of your lower a-arms in to that second hole on the Diamond J mounts. That may help your bump-steer issue when you land bigger jumps.

Look at the photo of your 450 that you posted. The wheel angle from top to bottom. The distance between the tops of the wheels is less than the distance between the bottom of the wheels. (negative camber) They will be even more negative when you are on the quad. This istypically good for cornering but you would need a steering stabilizer to keep the bump steer under control.

Now look at the gray quad that Micropilot posted. His is opposite. (positive camber) When he sits on his quad he should be just slightly negative.

Recreational riding set-up is 0 to -3 degrees. Moto and GNCC is -1 to -4 degrees but you should use a steering stabilizer.
Just my .02

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Very nice looking set up, :thumbsup:and the price is awesome. Did those brackets come painted blue or did you paint them yourself? or are they powder coated??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts