Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel like a complete idiot for asking this. Anyways I have a 08 700. Bought a curtis sparks x6 shorty full exhaust, FCI intake with box but no lid, and a dynojet PC5/V. I did as the directions said, and sent a map that I downloaded fromt he dynojet site of the closest mod combo I could find to mine. It stated in the bottem (map sent successfully) . Installed everything this afternoon, the bike idles lower it seems, around 1100rpms according to the laptop. and it cut out a 1 time when I barely tapped the gas, which its never done before. I rode it all of 2 minutes, and the header pipes have slightly faded to a darker color but not much, I didnt feel excessive heat. I felt a hella difference power wise (I think, my shorts were coming down by 4th gear). What are the tell tale signs of one thats running on a lean map? Thats my biggest fear. Were having a big ride tommarow and want to go but dont want to risk running my machine too lean. Any tuners around the raleigh durham area? Or anyone that can send me a map for a similar combo? Havent seen any posted up here with the similar mods. Thanks

·
Registered
448 Posts
You can always do a plug chop to check if it's running lean. Find a nice straight away and get into second or third and wot it and without letting off the gas kill the engine and then check the plug. If it's white it's to lean, black is to rich

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 more question. I downloaded from the dynojet site all the PC3 maps because it had the one that was most similar to my setup. PC3 maps still work on the Pc5 commander correct? They just have a different file name ending?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the plug check, had to do it in the garage though. Held it at 4-5k rpms for about a minute and hit the kill switch. The threads on the plug are black and the end of the plug is a tan/whiteish color. Too lean? It runs great, no popping or back firing. I did notice when I started to get on the throttle the pipes started glowing pretty quick..

·
Registered
42 Posts
i have 2 700 both with curtis pipes and fi intakes 1 has engine mods the and 1 stock
the stock 1 i just down loaded a map and it runs great i first run it around the block hard and check the plug nice and brown i was good to go. you are not going to get a good reading by sitting in your garage at any rpm you need to ride like you normaly do to really burn the fuel thats going into your engine take out and ride then u will get a good reading on that plug just my .02 worth

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Did the plug check, had to do it in the garage though. Held it at 4-5k rpms for about a minute and hit the kill switch. The threads on the plug are black and the end of the plug is a tan/whiteish color. Too lean? It runs great, no popping or back firing. I did notice when I started to get on the throttle the pipes started glowing pretty quick..
That isn't a plug chop, as skinyguy stated you have to run the engine under load. Doing it in a garage will not net you the proper results.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alrighty, took it out and ran it, checked it. Its a tannish color in the sunlight but under the flourescent its a little whiter than Id like it to be. I rode it for several hours this afternoon and boy did she haul compared to what it was before the mods. She never popped or backfired or cut out on me, it runs GREAT. Im using the map I downloaded from the dynojet website described as PC3 :

M416-007B Curtis Sparks full exhaust Curtis Sparks intake kit Airbox lid removed Note: *REVISED MAP* This map is slightly richer than map M416-007

The plug is still a bit on the light side, more than what im comfortable with, but she runs oh so good. Skinny guy : what map are you using for your bike with the fci intake and curtis sparks x6 full exhaust? Mines stock as far as the piston and cams go

1 - 9 of 9 Posts