Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i called hmf today about my junk dobeck, by the way had to send to dobeck not back to hmf, and talked to john and asked about tuning the dobek. i asked why does hmf and dobeck tell us to set the 4th pot to 9 . i would think this wouldnt allow the 3rd pot to come on till 9000 rpm. he said for some reason the dobeck is off by 3000 rpm. this would mean at 9 you are telling it to open at 6000. so all of you setting it way lower you are only dumping fuel and choking it. i was running at 6 this would mean i was shutting off the accel portion or pot 2 and dumping alot of fuel that is not needed. john @ hmf said that dobeck needs to change this about it... thought you all would like to know..

·
Registered
584 Posts
I run mine under 9 and it runs great. Ill keep mine and pocket the diffrence thank you very much. :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the info, I've had my 4th pot at 6-7 will try 9 now and see how it does.

·
Registered
644 Posts
07raptorgytr said:
i called hmf today about my junk dobeck, by the way had to send to dobeck not back to hmf, and talked to john and asked about tuning the dobek. i asked why does hmf and dobeck tell us to set the 4th pot to 9 . i would think this wouldnt allow the 3rd pot to come on till 9000 rpm. he said for some reason the dobeck is off by 3000 rpm. this would mean at 9 you are telling it to open at 6000. so all of you setting it way lower you are only dumping fuel and choking it. i was running at 6 this would mean i was shutting off the accel portion or pot 2 and dumping alot of fuel that is not needed. john @ hmf said that dobeck needs to change this about it... thought you all would like to know..
Why dont you try your own settings???

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well some of you that do have it lower than 9 i guess you are lucky or diff in altitude or somthing. but john at hmf writes the maps for the dobeck, he uses a dyno to tune for the best setting, and he told me for my mods, ballance carbon s/o , stock filter w/o lid i need a setting of 4:7:7:9 in the winter and summer 5:7:7:9 . but told me i may need to adjust about 1/2 click on the first two pots

·
Registered
32 Posts
I own a 06 Raptor, I have the DMC Dual Exhaust system, K&N air filter, Dobeck EFI control and I have been trying different pot settings and I dont feel much of a difference.
I know there`s a difference between stock and now...but don´t feel the difference between the different pot settings... :unsure:

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
I didnt either, there was only 2hp or so difference between the worst setting and were its at now. I did get another 2hp going leaner but I lost almost that in torque so I backed it back down.

·
Registered
610 Posts
07raptorgytr said:
well some of you that do have it lower than 9 i guess you are lucky or diff in altitude or somthing. but john at hmf writes the maps for the dobeck, he uses a dyno to tune for the best setting, and he told me for my mods, ballance carbon s/o , stock filter w/o lid i need a setting of 4:7:7:9 in the winter and summer 5:7:7:9 . but told me i may need to adjust about 1/2 click on the first two pots
There's a difference between summer and winter? And it's the first pot :3question: That's weird.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Here is some info I got from them in October….Matt Stoxens e mail adress is in the message.

Hi Bill,
What I have seen since we developed the kit in 2005 is that the 9:00
position worked very well for general trail riding. But I have seen from are
9:00 to almost 3:00 depending on the modifications. Yamaha could of done
some fine tuning to there mapping that would also affect how the TFI
see's the main jet fuel. There's also manufacturing differences on Yamaha's
side and ours.
The settings that you ended up at should work very well. I do have one
question when you were checking to see when the red light came on, was it in
natural or while riding? It doesn't hurt to do it both ways.

Thanks
Matt

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Why 9 on the RPM

I checked for the red light while it was in neutral. My local guy gave my a setting they used on a 700r with similar mods as mine and they used a 4 O'clock setting on the RPM pot........which made my red light flicker at idle and when I would give throttle they all shined , puff some smoke and bog, this was all in neutral. On 7 is seemed very crisp and responsive and the red light kicked in a little before 3/4 throttle. On the test ride it seemed very responsive, pulled hard and I didn't feel flat anywhere but I didn't torture it to bad yet. Sounds like I'm ok at 7, just wanted to confirm with you since you suggested the setting of 9 in the paperwork I got with it.

Thanks for the info
Bill
----- Original Message

You got it, that's how I would of done it.

Matt
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 7:01 PM

·
Registered
25 Posts
1,1,3.25,4 .... those are my settings and happens to be where I made the most peak hp and torque on the dyno! I know that sounds strange, but thats where my bike runs the best! I have a ProCircuit Ti4 headers and pipe, K&N w/ no lid and 2nd gen Dobeck! Even Dobeck didnt like those settings since they were way different than anyone elses!

·
Registered
899 Posts
xxparoleexx said:
1,1,3.25,4 .... those are my settings and happens to be where I made the most peak hp and torque on the dyno! I know that sounds strange, but thats where my bike runs the best! I have a ProCircuit Ti4 headers and pipe, K&N w/ no lid and 2nd gen Dobeck! Even Dobeck didnt like those settings since they were way different than anyone elses!
How do you like the pro circuit? I'm thinking of getting the head pipe to go with my TBR.......got any pics ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not any pics that show the header, sorry... But I think that they are OK! I mean if you want better performans for half of the price I would buy Ron Woods tunned exhaust.. you get the header and pipe for around $500!

And my Dobeck settings are set for my style of riding which is wide open throttle, all of the time (most of the time).. so really those settings do nothing at 1/4 throttle... they only use the MAIN jet (if it had jets).. I think I am going to switch to the PCIII! I have tried the settings that other people use (on a dyno) and those were the only ones that worked! I dont know why but Dobeck was present while it was dyno'd and were suprised as well.... they said that possibly Yamaha had done some changes on the bike I have that they are unaware of or my stock mapping is just weird??? I dont know really... all I know is that it runs the best where it is set to now! It runs a bit rich at the dunes when I bag the air filter but nothing unbearable!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts