Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, looking at some Cummins tomorrow for better towing power. No issues with my 2500 Chevy 6.0 on the flats towing stuff but when I hit the hills with my toyhauler I really feel the lack of grunt. I have the 4:10 gears but only 360lbs torque whereas the 05-09 Diesels I am looking at are at that 650lb torque range, which will be noticeable I do believe. Spent hours yesterday looking on line and it's crazy the price they ask for these when they have around 200,000 miles on them. It's around $15,000 in Colorado. I am going to start off looking at one from a dealer that is a 2 owner 2005 Cummins with the 5.9 with only 112,000 on it. Asking $23k but I want to haggle them to right around $20k with cash down. Duramax is sooo pricey it's unreal, plus I am picky on the interior. I need the fold up center seat for my "navigator" (our doggo) which most duramax don't have from what I am seeing.

The struggle is real....

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,456 Posts
Well, looking at some Cummins tomorrow for better towing power. No issues with my 2500 Chevy 6.0 on the flats towing stuff but when I hit the hills with my toyhauler I really feel the lack of grunt. I have the 4:10 gears but only 360lbs torque whereas the 05-09 Diesels I am looking at are at that 650lb torque range, which will be noticeable I do believe. Spent hours yesterday looking on line and it's crazy the price they ask for these when they have around 200,000 miles on them. It's around $15,000 in Colorado. I am going to start off looking at one from a dealer that is a 2 owner 2005 Cummins with the 5.9 with only 112,000 on it. Asking $23k but I want to haggle them to right around $20k with cash down. Duramax is sooo pricey it's unreal, plus I am picky on the interior. I need the fold up center seat for my "navigator" (our doggo) which most duramax don't have from what I am seeing.

The struggle is real....

Have you got about 15 hours for a drive back from Kellogg Idaho to save lots of money. Call "Dave Smith Motors" for internet pricing. I saved thousands on my last new truck. They paid for my flight there, shuttled me from the airport, (put some people up in a motel for the night), test drove, signed papers, fed me BBQ and I was on the way home in the early afternoon with a full tank of fuel.

·
Super Moderator
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure for the price of brand new, all dealers should do that, lol.

·
10,456 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went and looked at an 07 Dodge mega cab that had the 5.9 with full Banks after market stuff on it. Test drove it for a short run. Really need to test drive more to see what I want. Didn't seem to impress me like my brothers 6.7. Looked at 5 others the same year and didn't even ask for the keys, didn't like what I saw just sitting there.

Wife seen the megacab on line and said to buy it, it looked pretty. I am way too picky to buy pretty, I want my monies worth whatever I get.

She also seems to think I need to buy one this week, I have plenty of time before spring.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Went and looked at an 07 Dodge mega cab that had the 5.9 with full Banks after market stuff on it. Test drove it for a short run. Really need to test drive more to see what I want. Didn't seem to impress me like my brothers 6.7. Looked at 5 others the same year and didn't even ask for the keys, didn't like what I saw just sitting there.

Wife seen the megacab on line and said to buy it, it looked pretty. I am way too picky to buy pretty, I want my monies worth whatever I get.

She also seems to think I need to buy one this week, I have plenty of time before spring.
wife seems ready to pull the trigger, maybe channel her thinking into a new bike with the truck.

·
Super Moderator
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Next on the radar is an 09 Dodge quad cab long bed with the 6.7 motor, those have 650lbs torque. Been chatting with a dealer over an hour away who has sent multiple pictures. Car fax shows 2 owners with tons of scheduled maintenance done, only 160k miles on it. In my current price range if I trade in my ride and if they offer me what kbb shows it's worth on a trade in which is $5k plus matching that cash down on a $20k rig, so financing maybe $11k will be easy payments. Plan to go see it Friday or Saturday morning.

·
Super Moderator
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the 09. There was a check engine light that was on when test driving. Told dealer I was not going to sign any papers until that was resolved. Ended up being some turbo switch sensor that they will be replacing and they will also be replacing the turbo. They will be absorbing the cost on that one. Should be ready next week. Since I drove 2 hours to look into that truck and actually purchased it, they will be delivering the truck to me once complete.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Hell yeah. Mega cab long bed is gonna be awesome. Room for days! Might be a lil tricky to park at the mall, but i absolutely love the 4 door long bed combo

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This one isn't the mega cab, just quad cab 4 door. Still pretty good room inside. Parked side by side with my Silverado 2500HD and the Ram was longer by a little bit. Parking will be in the back of the lot still, lol. After driving that diesel for a while then driving my 6.0 gasser back home I can tell there will be easier towing. Always thought my 6.0 had oomph, and it does, but compared to that diesel it's a different league.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
This one isn't the mega cab, just quad cab 4 door. Still pretty good room inside. Parked side by side with my Silverado 2500HD and the Ram was longer by a little bit. Parking will be in the back of the lot still, lol. After driving that diesel for a while then driving my 6.0 gasser back home I can tell there will be easier towing. Always thought my 6.0 had oomph, and it does, but compared to that diesel it's a different league.
Your right, the 6.0 is a damn strong engine. But you just cant compare gas to diesels when it comes to towing. You wont even be able to tell there is anything hooked on that 6.7

·
10,456 Posts
Congrats!! What color is it? Pics or it didn't happen.

A word of caution, some years run the wire harness thru the frame. Water and dirt/mud can cause problems.

·
Super Moderator
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a khaki color. I have few pics from the dealer but will post up my own once it's in my hands. Already looking at doing the emissions delete to this. Provides more power and no need for regen in the middle of a tow. I don't need diesel emissions in my area so I can get away with it for sure.

Thanks for the heads up on the wiring DEZ. Can't wait to get it home to start making it mine.

·
10,456 Posts
It's a khaki color. I have few pics from the dealer but will post up my own once it's in my hands. Already looking at doing the emissions delete to this. Provides more power and no need for regen in the middle of a tow. I don't need diesel emissions in my area so I can get away with it for sure.

Thanks for the heads up on the wiring DEZ. Can't wait to get it home to start making it mine.
Oh yeah, we like spending OPM, (other peoples money). Wheels, tires, lift, controller, led lights, cat delete, etc.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Oh yeah, we like spending OPM, (other peoples money). Wheels, tires, lift, controller, led lights, cat delete, etc.
OPM! hahaha, i have to remember that one

·
10,456 Posts
OPM! hahaha, i have to remember that one

That's a old house flipper term, where you buy the house with "OPM".
I think some of you guys sent me some money, ya got any more for me?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
That's a old house flipper term, where you buy the house with "OPM".

I think some of you guys sent me some money, ya got any more for me?
I spent all my money on thanksgiving pie

·
Super Moderator
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mods will be coming for sure to the truck. I just need to get it here to figure out what they are. Removed everything I could on my Chevy so they can take it when they get here. In hindsight I should have saved my factory radio. Was able to remove the sub box but it's going out with Kenwood head unit and Infinity speakers throughout. This thing rocked when on a drive by myself, lol. Swapped back to the factory mirrors, without the towing ones it looks lame. Removed the rear view camera set up. LED interior, HID headlights, smoked tail lights all go with it... gonna miss it but looking forward to the new wave of mods.

·
Super Moderator
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Delivered last night

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts