Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at an 01 raptor in very good conditon
now it has the stocky trany on it still do you think if it hasnt went by now it wont go ?

also i was wondering if the 01's will be slower then the 02 + bike's

also whats the best mod for the $ (go fast mod )
thanks (im new here and dont know much about them i have never owned one befor but just road one this past weekend and loved it more then my 450r and my yfz )

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea john gave me this site and said yall can help
thanks in advance
also another Q
can a raptor with a pipe(slipon) and jetting beat a ds 650 with LTE's and no air box ? or will it atleast keep up with it .

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Whether or not you'll expierence tranny problems probably depends on the amount of hours that are on the bike, some people just don't ride their quads very much and maybe it just doesn't have enought time on it to reach the tranny failure point. I know of 6 local 01s that are still on their stock trannys and they all have a bunch of time on them.

Start the mods with the basic 3 of full pipe/jet kit and air box lid removal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ok...I have a question about removing the air box lid. I keep reading about people doin this, but how?? You just take the lid off?? Cuz I ride in the desert in AZ and I have to clean my K&N filter practically after every ride. If I remove the lid, wont that suffocate and kill her!! right??

·
Registered
183 Posts
yes u just take the lid off, i would recommend a foam filter for real dusty areas, and a k&n for duning.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
i run a K&N filter with outerwear (in southern AZ) and dont have to clean my filter that often. No lid wont suffocate, it will do the opposite. You will have to rejet after you remove the lid.

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
tcoche said:
ok...I have a question about removing the air box lid. I keep reading about people doin this, but how?? You just take the lid off?? Cuz I ride in the desert in AZ and I have to clean my K&N filter practically after every ride. If I remove the lid, wont that suffocate and kill her!! right??
K&N filters work better when they're a little dirty. If you don't have an outerwear, get one. You can only remove the lid if you've got a clamp-on style air filter adaptor. If it's just a drop in K&N that fits in like stock then you can't remove the lid.

1st gear is a little taller on the 01 models, better for a 300' race on some builds but not a significant difference once you get going faster as the rest of the ratios are the same from 01-05.

A clamp-on filter kit with your airbox lid removed will really wake the bike up. Next is an aftermarket exhaust. You'll need to rejet for both.

·
Registered
20 Posts
FYI - I ride a lot, ride hard, but take care of my quad. My 01 tranny lasted from Sep 2000 until Jan 2007. At the same time I've seen tons of 01 trannys on other bikes go out. So my suggestion is if the 01 tranny hasn't blown - you never know when it will. May be next month or may last another 5 years...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.