Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and a newly converted 4-stroker!

I just picked up a 06 Blue/White Raptor that was gently owned and mildly modified. I am very excited about riding it and seeing how it compares to my modified Banshee (which my daughter just claimed as hers now).

My question to all of you is what is the difference between the standard and long travel +2. +1 a-arms. I do 90% of my riding down in the dunes of Oregon. My Raptor has the stock suspension and I need something better for this older guy. I ask to see what you guys recommend for a nice duner setup with a-arms and shocks for my new baby!

Also, can you guys give me your opinion of my current duner setup:

LRD Pro4 R Racing Edition Full Exhaust System
PC III
Pro Design Intake Kit w/K&N Filter and Lid Removed
I-Cat Spark Enhancer
Dr D Reverse Lever
Pro Armor Nerfs
Skat Trak 22x11x10 Hauler Extremes (10 Paddle)

What other mods would you recommend to make this an awesome Duner (after the suspension)?

PS. I am currently deployed in the service and my wife surprised me with this baby!!! I don't get back for a couple more months before I get my first ride on it!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hi and welcome, nice ride you have and may I say nice better half too. Wish I had one to buy me nice toys ;). You already have some good mods, keeping in mind you say your a duner then maybe a nice stem with antivibe mounts. Maybe a set of skids for protection then a nice long travel frontend with some good shocks and then a wider axle.

Thanks for your service. Ride safe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blownhotrodder~ thanks for the advice and support to us deployed all over the world.

I was wondering what you guys thought of just upgrading the front shocks and having the rear redone to help with the ride on the dunes? I don't know how good the stock a-arms are? I eventually was thinking of long-travel a-arms, aftermarket front shocks, revalved rear shock and wider axle.

Any suggestions on good reputable companies that won't charge an arm and a leg for this setup?

·
Registered
584 Posts
If your gonna get front shocks do it when you get your a arms. If you get a long travel arm your shocks wont fit, they'll need to be longer. There are many great a arm companies to choose from. Figure out what you want to spend and do it at one time if you can. I could write a book about the diffrent companies and whats recommended but in honesty youd be better off to do a search on this site and read what everyone else has to say first hand. The rear shocks are pretty costly, maybe a revalve would be cost effective. Just depends on how deep your pockets are.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Standard travel arms have the shock pivot in the stock location, so stock length shocks can be used. There will be some wheel travel increase just by the length of the arms, but not as much as a long travel setup.

I feel the best bang for the buck is the ASR +3" long travel arms. The have heims at the spindles, and the uppers at the frame. They (just like any long travel arm) put the shock pivot farther out to accomodate a longer shock. I got mine new on Ebay for $400.

For shocks, take your pic. Most of the long travel arms will need a shock around 18.5" eye to eye. Stock is 15 7/8". Im running Elka Race, quad rate spring, piggy resivoirs with comp and reb adjust. I found them used\rebuilt on Ebay for $700.

As for reccomendation for duning.....Id suggest a longer swing arm, wider rear hubs, or axle if you widen the front, 20" paddles to bring the center of gravity back down to where it should be.

I perfer a twist throttle. I also have a 6 pack rack to take some choice beverages out with me.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Long Travel and standard travel will have THE SAME amount of ACTUAL wheel travel. The long travel setup uses longer shocks giving it more SHAFT travel, but not more actual wheel travel. With more shaft travel it makde the shocks easier to tune.

WWW.FUELATV.COM

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All of you guys are wonderful with answers and I really appreciate it! Here is my delima, my pockets are a on the lean side right now and I want to improve the ride of this wonderful quad.

What is my best option on a budget to make my Raptor ride better: shocks (front & rear), a-arms (stock, standard, or long travel), and axle.

I respect your advise and want to make this the best riding duner on a budget.

·
Registered
584 Posts
For just the front your somewhere around $1500 for everything. Too much?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm getting the ishock 5500 when I get my taxes back. Its A-arms and shocks with a great warranty and a sweet look. Thats just me though. Thanks for the service bro. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
ASR +3 Long Travel A-arms and TCS non-res. long travel fronts will set you back about $1235 (retail price).

You can get ASR +3 standard travel A-arms and TCS non-res. fronts for about $1095 (retail price).

Personally +2 or +3 makes sense, but I don't see the need to go long travel for duning. Others may disagree. You will get a better deal on TCS by talking to some of our site sponsors. There are several cost effective options with a-arms but this is the best "bang for the buck" set-up that I know of.

BTW-Thanks for your service, and welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BJH said:
ASR +3 Long Travel A-arms and TCS non-res. long travel fronts will set you back about $1235 (retail price).

You can get ASR +3 standard travel A-arms and TCS non-res. fronts for about $1095 (retail price).

Personally +2 or +3 makes sense, but I don't see the need to go long travel for duning. Others may disagree. You will get a better deal on TCS by talking to some of our site sponsors. There are several cost effective options with a-arms but this is the best "bang for the buck" set-up that I know of.

BTW-Thanks for your service, and welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:
After talking to the wife "Boss", she has put the kabash on the long travel setup for now. She says that she wants new shocks for her 400EX before I can go all out on my Raptor. I have been talking to the TCS guys and I think that I will go with them with some shock work by them. I will be sending my shocks (frnt/rear) for revalving and upgrades and later get some +2+1 a-arms and +4 axle, and have the wife's shocks revalved also for the time being. I have to keep her happy to get what I want.

She has been wonderful so far, by buying me my Raptor since I have been deployed. How many wives would do that for their better halfs?

I appreciate the support that everyone gives towards us service members. I means alot to me! Thanks...

·
Registered
177 Posts
FUELATV said:
Long Travel and standard travel will have THE SAME amount of ACTUAL wheel travel. The long travel setup uses longer shocks giving it more SHAFT travel, but not more actual wheel travel. With more shaft travel it makde the shocks easier to tune.

WWW.FUELATV.COM
Then why does your site sell long travel suspension with the claim that it increases wheel travel? I increased my wheel travel quite a lot just by switching to elkas (they allow more movement due to their design). Long travel arms increase wheel travel by further increasing the shock length that can be used. If the mounting point is also moved out further away from the original position (as well as below the arm) that increases the shaft rate relative to wheel travel and yes, it makes it easier to tune the valving, but long-travel means longer wheel travel and every mfr of long travel suspension will dispute any claim otherwise.

·
Registered
677 Posts
raptorsquid said:
FUELATV said:

WWW.FUELATV.COM
Then why does your site sell long travel suspension with the claim that it increases wheel travel? I increased my wheel travel quite a lot just by switching to elkas (they allow more movement due to their design). Long travel arms increase wheel travel by further increasing the shock length that can be used. If the mounting point is also moved out further away from the original position (as well as below the arm) that increases the shaft rate relative to wheel travel and yes, it makes it easier to tune the valving, but long-travel means longer wheel travel and every mfr of long travel suspension will dispute any claim otherwise.
The only Long Travel kit on my site is for the LTR450. My Long Travel kit on the LTR450 will increase the wheel travel over the stock shock and a-arm setup. It is true you can increase the wheel travel by adding a set of good shocks on a Raptor. LONGER SHOCKS DO NOT EQUAL MORE WHEEL TRAVEL ..... Long travel a-arm kits use longer shocks because the lower shock mounts are moved down and out to achieve a desired leverage ratio ...... 2-1 is usually the target. The longer shock will have more shaft travel, but not more wheel travel then a PROPERLY setup standard travel kit ..... assuming you are compairing equal lenght a-arms.

WWW.FUELATV.COM

·
Registered
177 Posts
FUELATV said:

WWW.FUELATV.COM
You appear to be a great source of disinformation. Caveat emptor (buyer beware). What you posted (above) is not true, and depending on the location of the shock mounts, long travel a-arms can offer more wheel travel as well as easier tuning of shock valving. Let's not confuse the issue. Physics is immutable. You should argue with the various designers of suspension products before before making claims on this site that don't hold up to reality.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I am sorry you feel this way. I have no need to argue with various designers as the person that manufactures my a-arms is one of the top suspension designers in the ATV industry. You are wrong, but is is ok. Long shocks will make tunning or valving the shock easier. No doubt.this is because the Long Travel or Long shock a-arms offer more SHAFT travel .... not more actual wheel travel. This is compairing apples to apples as you like to say. So lets say you have two bikes

One Raptor 700 with +2 a-arms and standard length elka shocks valved and setup correctly
and
One Raptor 700 with +2 a-arms and Long Travel elka shocks valved and setup correctly

Are you trying to tell me one will have more ACTUAL wheel travel then the other? If so explain away ohhh wise one. This otta be good.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Since you're such a great source of disinformation (and so sensitive about your lack of engineering knowledge) I've decided to dog you as a service to less informed people on this site. I don't have anything to sell, so no skin off my teeth. It's unwise to pick a fight involving physics with a professional engineer. I may not be designing suspensions, but neither are you, and you expose your ignorance every time you make a new post. You're ignorance isn't my problem, it's the problem of people who might listen to you.

"apples to apples"? -are you possibly the victim of a head injury?

·
Registered
677 Posts
raptorsquid said:
Since you're such a great source of disinformation (and so sensitive about your lack of engineering knowledge) I've decided to dog you as a service to less informed people on this site. I don't have anything to sell, so no skin off my teeth. It's unwise to pick a fight involving physics with a professional engineer. I may not be designing suspensions, but neither are you, and you expose your ignorance every time you make a new post. You're ignorance isn't my problem, it's the problem of people who might listen to you.
No engeneering knowledge needed and you are far from dogging me. You my friend are offering the misinformation if you think in the above mentioned kits that one has more actual wheel travel then the other. I have seen both setups cycled through on the best suspension programs available. I am sure you have everything figured out OR so you think. So continue to argue and try to call me out with your wealth of engeneering knowledge. I will continue to call out your ignorance. I am sure you have designed everything, ridden every setup and have a cure for world hunger in your back pocket.

WWW.FUELATV.COM

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FUELATV said:
TCS is a very good company and you will be very happy with your shocks. In the future if you need any TCS products i am a dealer and i can save you a couple bucks.

WWW.FUELATV.COM
Thank you for help and if you can provide me the same service as TCS has offered. I will take you up on it. I will have to wait for a few months until I can enjoy the pleasure of riding my new toy to experience the stock feeling before going to the upgrade. Do you happen to service shocks for other brands (ie. Suzuki, Honda, etc) of ATVs? I would like to do all of them at once if possible.

I am very amused at the debate that has instilled from this topic! :thumbsup: Keep it going!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts