Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i just installed my direct drive lock out clutch and clutch cover and i went to reinstall my rear brake lever and it will not clear. has anyone had this issue, if so what was your solution????

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
I've read, most people bend it out. makes it alittle shorter, but not bad. 8)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
dam do you have a vendor list by chance. im needing that for mine. what about the peg? do you just grind or make a spacer ?
thnx
mike

·
Registered
124 Posts
not traying to high jack but whats the purpose for the direct drive lock out clutch and clutch cover? anny major benefits? how much they run for? Any body has pic installed in the 660r

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
The lockup goes on top of the pressure plate and springs. You use longer clutch spring bolts to bolt it all together. It has weighted fingers. The back side of the fingers are oblonged. As RPM increase the fingers try to fling out. This puts more pressure on the clutch pack.

It is like a Center Force Clutch for automobiels.

The clutch cover is required for clearance. The Direct Drive lockup will not fit under the stock clutch cover.

Here is some pics of the one on my banshee.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks so this would b a good upgrade for my new build its only a 686. Any vendor in here sell this set up?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How hard was it to tune the lock out

I should have my quad all put back together this weekend. After i jet the carbs how long should i expect to spend tuning the lock out. And was it worth the money we dropped on it?

The lockup goes on top of the pressure plate and springs. You use longer clutch spring bolts to bolt it all together. It has weighted fingers. The back side of the fingers are oblonged. As RPM increase the fingers try to fling out. This puts more pressure on the clutch pack.

It is like a Center Force Clutch for automobiels.

The clutch cover is required for clearance. The Direct Drive lockup will not fit under the stock clutch cover.

Here is some pics of the one on my banshee.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
If nothing else it will make your clutches last much longer. On my banshee i run 6 oem springs. The lockup is bolted to the pressure plate / inner hub. Those parts are conected to the transmission shaft. So when your launching the lockup is not spinning. If you use weeker springs this will allow the clutch to slip out of the hole. It helps keep the RPMs up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its running

I got the raptor running today, but the clutch will not engage. It will run fine in neutral but even after adjusting the clutch cable as much as I could I can not sit in gear while its running. It acts like I'm not even pulling the clutch lever. I have all six heavy duty springs in. Do you think that could the reason why the clutch isn't working?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Did you over torque the nut that holds the inner hub and basket on the main transmission shaft? That will lock the hub and basket together and cause this problem.

I think you meen disengauge as in release.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Help

I don't think I touched that nut. All I did was pull the old clutch spring bolts out and replaced them with the longer ones provided by direct drive.there was a shaft with gear teeth that I also had to replace on the pressure plate but I don't think it required me to torque anything to a specific ft/lbs. The bolts on the lockout and springs I tightened like direct drive said. I tightened those until they actually made contact with the pressure plate.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Did you try to take the arm that the clutch cable hooks up to off and try turning the splinded shaft to get rid of all play. The arm is held on with a snap ring. Then reinstall the arm. Then hook the clutch cable up.

It could be that you just didnt get all the clutch linkage play out of the system.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got out all of the free play and now i can actually ride it. The only thing is the clutch is kinda hard to pull now. I just ordered a set of oem clutch springs to see if that will help. Thank u so much for the help, i really appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
That is no problem. The clutch will be hard when it is in gear and moving. But at a dead stop it shouldnt be any stiffer because the lockup isnt spinning.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts