Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking about buying a 125 mx bike. I was wondering which one had the most room because i am about 6'2''-6'3". i would like to get the ktm or yamaha. and like to stay away from honda and suzuki but would get it if i had to.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
if you can handle the power step up to a 250 or a 450F

sure 2 stroke woop ass but 4 strokes are funner and lil more forgiving

check out the 07 yzf's

redline at like 14k

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Daryn C said:
if you can handle the power step up to a 250 or a 450F

sure 2 stroke woop ass but 4 strokes are funner and lil more forgiving

check out the 07 yzf's

redline at like 14k
Good advice, I started on a 125 years ago and very quickly out grew it......Go bigger and grow into the bike.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
480 Posts
My hubby rode a tt-r 125L for years, then bought a CR 250r, but went down to an RM 125.... the 250 was just too big and too ballsy for him. He loves the RM and is glad he made the switch. He is 5'11" and 180 lbs... and he fits it comfortably.

·
Registered
480 Posts
raptordan said:
a 125 would probly beat my raptor any ways
Actually they are about the same. :) My hubby tries his best to try and loose me on the trails... but I am right behind him everytime he looks back. ;)

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I just got a 2 stroke 250 and it hauls, definatly feels like it would kill my built rappy. Its big though and a little hard to kick start and Im about 6-1" I think Id be more comfortable on a 125, but Ill see how it goes once I get used to it

·
Registered
126 Posts
Dan - What kind of riding do you plan to do?
Honestly, the only reason I would recommend a guy your size to get a 125 diesel is for racing - and only if you have a really good reason to race in the 125 class. They are super light and nimble, but are also very high strung and maintenance intensive. You have to shift every 2.3 seconds to keep the power on, and constanly changing rings and pistons and cleaning power valves can get tiresome. Real tiresome.

If just play riding, a larger displacement thumper is a whole lot less maintenance and bother. Over the last 15 years, I went from a Kawi KDX-200 (diesel) to a Honda XR-400 thumper to a KTM 450EXC thumper. All are fantastic play and trail bikes. The KTM is an absolutely amazing piece. It is much more than just a trail bike, but it doesn't mind being used as such.

·
Registered
735 Posts
i want a bike i never have to use the clutch...enough power to crack in any gear and go. mega hill climbs are a must too. the benifit of a bike is that you dont have to wory about how wide your "machine" is. Just point and go. most of the time you are only on one wheel, which means the bike is hitting far less bumps than a quad. Wrecking a bike is safer too, just let go...no fenders to worry about....which side to dismount, no need for a tether kill...the dont walk away when you bail, just lay down and stall.

What kind of riding? Balls to the wall, gas on, gas off are the only two speeds I know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts