Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to the sight and my 06 rappy:metal:

was just wanting to ask: what are the major diffrences when switching from regular tires on the dirt to paddles on the sand:feedback:

this weekend will be my first trip to the dunes on my rappy and i need some experienced riders help, running ITP sand stars on all 4 corners

thnx

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Not really following your question. Do you mean the differnce in the way it hooks up in the sand ? If so, it's going to be night and day difference. SS's are a great tire for playing in the sand. 20's are a bit small IMO, but my brother LOVES his.

Ride safe, dunes can be dangerous

·
Registered
400 Posts
Sand tires hook up real good! Your going to want more power!!!!!!!!!
Let us know when you are ready for more power and better tires!
Well, I guess sand stars are good, just depands on what you are doing.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I rode at Silver Lake with my Razr 2's last yeah and I thought they did sweet, Until I bolted on a set on Haulers..... Never again will I ride without them haulers. I just picked up some from Twister on here a few weeks ago so I don't have to borrow any. Now I just gotta find another set when my funds allow...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not really following your question. Do you mean the differnce in the way it hooks up in the sand ? If so, it's going to be night and day difference. SS's are a great tire for playing in the sand. 20's are a bit small IMO, but my brother LOVES his.

Ride safe, dunes can be dangerous
thnx you guys have answered my question about it
ive rode dirt tires on the sand before was just wondering about floating and cornering,,

i think ive got decent power on it, but i understand about the drag and such
what would be some suggestions for mods as far as power
i have GYTR intake, GYTR full exhaust, MSD fuel controller ( i understand not the best but it came with the bike)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Congrats on the buy and welcome to the site!

I went from riding dirt to sand and have never went back to dirt :lol:

Sand stars were my first set of paddles but where I ride I kept getting stuck down in the tree/hill shoots (won't really have that problem in the bigger dunes). I went to a straight paddle like skat trak hauler or extreme and stick with those now.

As far as mods...depends on how much you want to spend of course!! You could do head work with larger valves and a more aggressive cam such as a HDD 5050, Web 4, or maybe hotcams 3 along with a higher compression piston like a CP 11 or 12:1 since you are closer to sea level. That would be a nice 5-6 mod bike that would put you around 60-65hp.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Skat track hualers shaved beed to beed with 8in wheels work very well the lighter the better! My first build was barker duels, intake, pc3, Hot cam 3, and a cp 13:1. I was really happy with that build for quite a while and it ran on pump fuel. If your close to sea level you wouldn't want to go more the a 12:1 or 11:5:1 unless you want to run race fuel. That set up made 54hp for me @ 4800ft. Like said above, you being at sea level could easely see in the 60's with less compression then I had. That would be a real good jump in HP for not a whole lot of money. If you have the money and want to go bigger right of the bat then you would want a differant cam and maybe a better intake. All depends on what you want and how much $ you are willing to spend.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
was lookin at the FCI and im thinkin bout it ..... box or no box ?
well what would be the best to start with im a rider on a tight budget
ill be ordering some asv levers this week and odi grips.

my weekend at pismo was awesome i think were gonna go back in 2 weeks

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
Fci intake with box, pc5 controller, dmc force 4's or barkers duals or sparks xx6 single you could throw monsters duals in there too i guess.
Don't forget DASA duals! :D

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
was lookin at the FCI and im thinkin bout it ..... box or no box ?
well what would be the best to start with im a rider on a tight budget
ill be ordering some asv levers this week and odi grips.

my weekend at pismo was awesome i think were gonna go back in 2 weeks
That's awesome you had a good time! I always felt bad for people that were stuck with dirt only, it seems like to me that there is no better terrain to ride on than sand when it comes to an ATV. If I was on a dirt bike that would be a different story of course.

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
are the dasa duals better than everything else cause i was thinkin the force 4's
even tho i know its pretty much personal prefrence
I don't think any head to head dyno comparisons have been done so there is really no way to tell. I do know that the can cores are bigger then Barkers. I got them because I wanted something different then everybody else. Plus it mounts with welded tabs so there is no worry of straps breaking or becoming loose. But to each their own! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Don't forget DASA duals! :D
Yeah sorry buddy i forgot, how you doing stuckey;)

I don't think any head to head dyno comparisons have been done so there is really no way to tell. I do know that the can cores are bigger then Barkers. I got them because I wanted something different then everybody else. Plus it mounts with welded tabs so there is no worry of straps breaking or becoming loose. But to each their own! :thumbsup:
Yep same reason i went with the force 4's same hp as barkers and cheaper with more free accessories. Brandon he did say he was on a budget and the dasa's are the most expensive duals out there, we don't all have military money to throw around like you do :D

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
Yeah sorry buddy i forgot, how you doing stuckey;)

Yep same reason i went with the force 4's same hp as barkers and cheaper with more free accessories. Brandon he did say he was on a budget and the dasa's are the most expensive duals out there, we don't all have military money to throw around like you do :D
More like tax return money! haha! Yeah, I saw that part of his post after I said that. My bad, lol. I doing alright, just working a lot, drinking up a storm, and counting the days 'till I see my daughter again. To the OP, there are always quite a few duals in the "For Sale" section on here that are usually around $400-$500 dollars. That will probably be your best bet.

·
Registered
267 Posts
are the dasa duals better than everything else cause i was thinkin the force 4's
even tho i know its pretty much personal prefrence

you the same joe dellosi that used to race out at showtime off chester in bakersfield?

id go with monster duals, but thats just me:D after having them on my 660 and 700 i wont run anything else.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.