Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought an 05 660. it has the stock chain on it. the chain was very loose when i bought it. i was going to tighten it, but i thought id take it off, clean it, and throw it in a pail of oil over night. well, couldnt find a master link. after doing a search on the site, i found they do not come with a master link in it. so my question is, are they any disadvantages to putting one in? i grew up farming, and i never had any trouble with them on farm equipment, so im assuming i wouldnt on the 4 wheeler either. but i just thought id ask.

·
Registered
960 Posts
they are perfecly ok how else do you install a new chain lol

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i see what you are saying. i just thought there had to be a reason they didnt put one in it to begin with.

·
Registered
960 Posts
naw it is just a yamaha thing they dont expect the normal person to be doing it to their wheeler or riding like we do so

·
Registered
348 Posts
Actually it does weaken it a little. And all you need is a chain braker and a spinner. These are quite spendy which is why your after market chains come with masters in them. Now I have no idea how much weaker the master is, most chains are rated about 6500-lbs if the master makes it only 6350 no biggie but if it takes down to 4800 could be problem. But like I said I have no idea how weak they are. I would run a master in a good quality chain before I ponied up the green for the breaker/spinner tools.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Guams got a point, I have broken chains before and never at the master so things that make you go hmmmmm. and is that 20 bucks just for the breaker or does it incl. the spinner? and thats cheap, I found one set a couple years ago but it was over a 100 bucks for both. I have not looked recently though.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The breaker is only to remove chain, the spinner allows you to 'rivet' chain back together without using a master link. Being I cant even find a standard link I doubt I'll have any luck finding a spinner.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Just make sure the retaining clip doesnt pop off and you should be fine with a master link, you can get all the stuff to rivet chains at rocky mountain just to let you know...

·
Registered
735 Posts
I used a pneumatic die grinder,,,,does that make me less of a atv mechanic...I dont own a chain breaker... is there a govt fund out there to make me more equal.

Cut the chain with whatever you got...but some ways require more elbow grease

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i used a disk grinder, a hammer, and a punch. then went to my local KTM motorcyle shop and get a link. works great. thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I just use a breaker only. I use the breaker to push the pins in just far enough to get one side off. Then slide the link apart. THen to put them together I just flip the breaker around and use it to push the pins back in the opposite way. I've done it about a dozen times on my chain with no problems. The biggest thing is making sure the small o rings are lined up right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have always used master linked chains and can only remember having a chain failure once. I do carry a spare master link with me when I ride though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts